6mm Berger 105 VLD

I don't fool around much with the .243 any longer, mostly I am shooting long range with a 6mmBR 1-8 twist with Bergers. Best powders are Varget and RL15.

I can tell you that all VLD bullets are very tricky and finding a good load can be frustrating. Some days the VLD will shoot well, other days like crap. If the barometric pressure is high, they might shoot well, but when its low, they could flop. In general, most competition shoots jam VLD's into the lands from .005 - .20" for best results. You really need to do a lot of experimentation with VLD's. You might consider the Berger 108 grain match 6mm, which is what I mostly use now.

i have a rem 700 243 and i use 40 grains of imr 4350. my seating depth is 3.250 by ogive in my gun which is a custom shilen 1-8.

I've read that Berger has or is going to change the design of the 105 VLD, specifically on the target model though. The thin jacketed hunting bullet (orange box) is supposedly not going to be affected by this change.

The general consensus seems to be that a 1-9" is too slow for the 105 VLD. But there is a way to find out for your particular gun and that is to shoot them. You can try several different bullets for the price of one box if you go to BulletSamples.com, you essentially get a variety pack to see which one shoots the best from your gun, without paying the price of 5 or 6 different 100 count boxes.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.