6mm AI

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by adam330, Feb 20, 2012.

1. adam330

adam330 Well-Known Member

Anyone on here shooting varmint at long ranges with this caliber? If so how do you like it and what is your set up? Action, barrel length, twist rate, bullet and bullet weight, velocity ect. I have been strictly using a .204 ruger for woodchucks, but will be going to wyoming for prairie dogs this summer and would like a little larger caliber to reach out there. Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Adam

2. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

If there was ever a cartridge that was begging to be improved, its got to be the very underrated 6mm.

Best of luck on your 6ai build!!!

3. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

I shoot a 6AI sporter on a Rem 700 LONG action with a 26 inch Black Star barrel. That allows me to seat the bullets very long. It has a 1 in 9 twist and absolutely loves the 95g Berger VLD bullets. I have been shooting fire forming loads of RL22 at a velocity of 3100 f/s. It is extremely accurate and has the capacity to go a lot faster. I just haven't fire formed all my brass yet so have not looked for anything faster. It's a great cartridge.

4. REDHEAD

REDHEAD Well-Known Member

What is the base cartridge to the 6AI ?

5. adam330

There are 2 ways to go, you can just blow the shoulder out on the 6mm or you can use Norma 7x57 this requires a little more work, severel dies and turning necks.

6. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

6mm Remington.

7. strombeckj

strombeckj Well-Known Member

What makes a rifle capable taking PD's at distance is the BC of the bullet. It takes very little energy to kill a PD. Here is a great story on a 20BR. Tennessee Triple — VolDoc’s Varminters within AccurateShooter.com

I would look hard at something shooting the 20.cal 55gr berger varmints.

If your sold on a 6mm look at the benchrest rounds, Like the 6mmBR, 6XC, or 6mm Dasher, along with the high BC 100gr + bullets. Much better accuracy, less recoil and better barrel life.

IMO,

Jon

8. adam330

I have a 204 ruger that i took last hear and it did a decent job with them. I was just looking for something that would reach out a little further with a better splat effect! I also shooy my fair share of woodchucks here in ohio and would like the gun to serve as a 500-700 yard chuck killer as well! If there is a better cartridge out there feel free to make suggestions. If i dont have to fireform brass thats fine by me. Im just looking for something fast that will make a nice red mist when it makes contact!

9. strombeckj

strombeckj Well-Known Member

If barrel life is not a concern... I love my 6mm-06. It will send a 70gr NBT @ 4000+ FPS
    No fire forming, simply neck down and seat. This round creates a RED MIST @ 300 yards could barely find the parts of the PD and he was anywhere from 1 foot to 10 feet away from his hole.

It has a 1:10 26" w/break krieger designed to shoot the 95gr VLDS for deer and antelope.

the 55gr berger varmints don't give much of a red mist factor at distance but that bullet will carry out there no problem. I really like to 20BR with a 1:8 shooting those. My friends is a tac driver and he shoots PD's at 600 yards with no problem.

Jon

10. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

If you're looking to stay in the 6mm market my vote goes to the 6-284.

I run 6.5-284 Lapua brass thru a 6-284 FL die and your done. You get to use the best brass available and it's the easiest neck down you will find.

If you just want to buy excellent brass, load it, and shoot, a 243win. would be the obvious winner.

11. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

The "old" .244 Remington /6mm Rem.

12. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

For LONG range I went with the .260 Remington. ( Basically the 6.5mm-308 cartridge) Running a 26" varmint taper barre; and stocked with the exact same stock as Remingtons VLS series of heavy barreled guns.

It looks identical to my VLS 22-250 and VLS 243.