6mm -284 loading help

carverelli

Haven't posted for over a year, but I'm starting back to work on my project. I'll get you guys up to date on my project so you might be able to lend your expertise. Loading for this cartridge is a little different as its way overbore and throat life is short. here's the specs:
M700 Rem short action
1:8 twst 29"x 1 1/4 stainless Lilja barrel w/ a Mbrake
action trued and cleaned up my Dennis Olsen, Plains,MT
.268 neck
skim bedded in a HS Precision stock w/ 2 inches of the chamber area bedded also. I put 2 thicknesses of elec tape on the front and sided of the recoil lug when I bedded it in Marinetex
I've necked down Norma brass with Redding dies and trimmed the necks down so the loaded round is .002 smaller than chamber size. Bullets are moly coated 107 gr MK's. From everything I've gathered these are a good place to start. The first chamber on this barrel had a deep throat and I couldn't reach the lands. This time I sent dummy round w/ the gun and Dennis chambered it so I had room to chase the lands as they were eroded away. He noted there was significant erosion already and it wouldn't take me long to burn it up some more. He actually cut the throat less than the dummy round I sent w/ the barrel.
I have a 12x42 BR nightforce scope in Mark IV rings on 20 MOA tapered two piece bases from Ken Farell. I've also drilled out the sling swivel on the butt and poured hot lead in the hollow stock. Finished weight is right around 20 lbs.
Questions would be what powder, weight and how deep to seat these VLD bullets. I've taken some of my cases and used green got and some cream of wheat to fire form. It helped a little with runout on the casenecks. Most are under .004. I was going to try the cases that had as much as .007 runout and see how much difference it made.
Also, what the minimum distance I should test these loads. I mean is 100 yards useless, or should I move out to 500 right away?(I haven't sighted in the scope since I got it back from NF. They went completely through it as I was ready to sell it because my Leupold on my AR was more clear.
I've used rl 22 and got ok results, but I haven't shot it w/ the new chamber either. You folks on this board have way more experience w/ this stuff than I do. In Fact 50driver sorta talked me into building this beast a few years ago, but my long distance dreams have yet to be realized.

Ok-I'm ready to shoot. Loaded up some today that are .020 into the rifling. After sight in I'll start w/ these. I believe they are the most likely to shoot better. I've shot this gun w/ 56.5 gr rl22. Pretty hot but only had slightly hard bolt lift. W/ the new chamber and bullets into the rifling I started w/ 53.5 and then 54.5 and then 55.5. What's the minimum range you guys would start accuracy testing at. The range I have access to only goes to 200 yards. Any further and I'd have to go primitive up in the hills and such. Should be able to go out either Fri or Sat.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.