6MM 105grn A-Max for varminting

wildcat

I am currently getting ready to build a new 6x284 for long range varminting. I will be using a Krieger 30", 1-8.5 twist, 4 groove barrel. I am wanting to use one of the VLD bullets for varminting and trying to decide which one would be the best for varminting.

I will be shooting ground squirrels and PDogs out to 1000 yards with this rifle. So, I need a good bullet that has high BC as well as decent expansion on the above mentioned varmints at ranges from 100 to 1000 yards. I ve heard the 105grn A-Max is a really good long range bullet,(BC .500), and it expands pretty well too. I ve never used the 105grn A-Max, so I would like to hear from those who have used it for varminting.

Basically, how well does the 105grn A-Max work for long range varminting.

As far as velocity with the 105grn A-Max, I am not sure yet. Kirby,informed me it depends on the grooves of the barrel. Kirby, said the 105grn A-Max can be pushed to 3400fps out of the 6x284 if the barrel has the correct grooves. However, I ve heard that the 105grn A-max can usually only handle around 3200fps before it starts to have blow up issues. 3200fps is still awesome, so either speed will work. I ve also heard this bullet is very accurate too.

I am looking forward to hearing from all the 6mm shooters out there who use the 105grn A-Max for varminting.

Wildcat

i have not shot the 105 but i have the 80. It shot very accurate and worked good on varmits and deer. It is pretty soft bullet i think, it has no problems expanding at long ranges due to the tip, but i run a pretty compressed load and it would dent a ring around the ogive seating the bullet. so i switched to the 90gr berger vld.

the dent it might be kinda hard to see
DSC02173.jpg

Mikebob, thanks for the info. I ve heard the 105grn Berger does pretty well on small varmints, like squirrels and PDogs. The only problem with the 105grn Berger and 105grn A-max, you can't push them too hard.

Wildcat

I shot the 80gr amax @ 3450fps with no probs, I shot the 80 berger @ 3500 with no probs. The 90 gr berger I shoot @ 3300 and have no problems with it. Im just a berger vld and an accubond fan.

Mikebob, I think the 105grn Berger and A-Max have the issues with velocity. Kirby Allen informed me the 105grn A-Max, out of a 6x284, can be pushed to 3400fps in a barrel with the correct groove. I know the 105grn Lapua Scenar and the 107grn Sierra Matchking can be pushed to 3500fps without any problems, however, I don't think they expand as well as the Berger or A-Max.

Wildcat

I don't think expansion should be a problem on PD and squirrels at 1000 yds :)

Seriously though, I shoot the 115 DTAC moly out of my 243 AI @ 3178fps. It is very acccurate and I have taken a PD at 734yds. Third shot to dial it in, but 4 mph wind enough to push it around at that distance.

I am very happy with it. 585 BC gives it great accuracy.

I'll send ya few if you want to try em out....

Senderoman, the 115 DTAC has great BC. What is your barrel twist rate. I have a 1-8.5 twist, 30", 4 groove Krieger, will the 115 DTAC work in that twist rate?

Wildcat

I have a 30" Broughton 5c 1 in 8 twist. I am pretty sure it should work. I have shooting buddy that has a 8.5 and he shoots 115 VLD's in it fine. But, he shoots at 5800 ft asl.

DavidTubb.com.html

I have seen tests done by David Tubbs from a 1 in 8.2 twist 29 in barrel I think.... They should shoot in yours....

let me know...

Last edited:
Senderoman, do you use the 115grn DTAC for varminting. Also, how fast can they be pushed. I am thinking the 6x284 has the potential to push them at around 3300fps.

I am thinking the 105grn A-Max will be the best for varminting, due to expansion.

Wildcat

The gentleman I got the rifle from was shooting them at 3250 in the 243 AI.

I am getting 3178 out of them here. Look at my prior post, Tubbs link has more info.

I haven't shot a coyote yet, but just now got drop chart made up and have tested out to 1000 with it.

Shot PD's and rocks so far...

Coyotes real soon... Taking my boy out tonight and in the morning !!

Let ya know the results if we get into them.

SM

SenderoMan, thanks for the info. How did they expand on the PDogs??

Also, I look forward to hearing how they work on the yotes.

Jake

Even the one at 734 was almost in 2 pieces.... Tyler, my son, thinks it is "real cool" when you see what they have been eating... "chunks of grass all over is cool" LOL

hope to see what happens with coyotes... to hot tonight to go... 93 degrees.

we are gonna try in the morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.