6mm/105 A-Max vs. deer

257speed

Just returned from a deer hunt, where I used my 243 AI and the 105 A-max (3177 muzzle velocity). It turned out to be a great test for the bullet, since I shot a coues deer (small sub-species of whitetail) and my buddy shot a large bodied mule deer with it. My shot was broadside at 310 yards. According to my charts the bullet is doing 2656fps at this distance. The deer ran ten feet before dropping. There was a 3/4" entrance wound and a 1-1/4" exit. The heart, lungs and liver were all severly damaged. My buddy shot the mule deer at 615 yards. Again according to my charts, the velocity at this distance was 2192 fps. The buck dropped in his tracks. The round entered where aimed, which was a high shoulder shot. The bullet made about a one inch entrance, through the shoulder plate, then through a rib, sending pieces of bone all through the chest cavity. The bullet destroyed the top of the heart and lungs, broke a rib going out, then left about a 1-1/2" exit. I was very impressed with the way the bullet performed on two very different deer at different velocities.

Wow, thats good to know. I was planning on using 105 gr Berger VLD's with my AI (when I get it), but I might have to think about the A-max's now.

6mm 105 Amax's

This little bullet has been over looked for quite sometime now. Just recently, the 600 yard BR record was broken with it. I beleive a 5 shot group that measured .589", cant recall the exact size but I think thats close. Everyone I know that hunts with the Amax is singing it's praises. Congrats on two quick, clean kills.

Good job!

I agree, the AMAX is an awesome deer bullet. They just seem to put the hurtin on em. I shot 3 deer a few weeks ago with the AMAX and none of them traveled more than a few yards and all downhill. It is amazing the abuse those sitka bucks will take. I will be using the 208 AMAX next year for deer to extend my range a bit over the 178.

The fact that an accuracy record was broken with the AMAX's is no suprise. The only true 1 hole group I have ever shot was with the AMAX and have shot a whole host of groups at 1K under 5" and one group just under 3.5". They are truly amongthe most accurate mass produced bullets available and what makes the great is they double up as a good deer sized critter hunting bullet!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.