6mm 100 grain Sierra SPBT GameKing

dakor

Well I asked about the 95 Berger VLD but it does not look like anyone on here has used it. So now I will ask about the 100 Sierra. I will be shooting from 100 yards to 600 yards on whitetails with a MV of 3515 fps. Has anyone tried this bullet in a hot 6mm cal and if so how did it work?

Have shot Berger vld's with great success, but you don't want to shoot a Deer with them.

I shot the 100g Sierra out of my old Rem 700 ADL .243 Win. They were somewhere right at 3000fps. My intention was to use them for muley's out to 500. All I did was practice shooting jugs at 500. The bullets were very accurate. Shot a 1.5" 3 shot group at 300 yards, and turned around and shot a 2.5" 3 shot at 525 yards. At only 3000fps and at 525, there wasn't much power and it just barely looked like they "blew up" those jugs, but your pushing them another 500fps so I'm sure they would work just fine to 500 yards.

Dakor ,
Don't know about the Sierra but...
Shot a 60 pound kangaroo in the chest with the Berger 95 VLD and didn't achieve full penetration . Used a .243 Ackley at 3270 fps and shot was about 100 yds . Bullet was mushroomed to about .75 in diameter and under the skin opposite point of entry . Bergers must be pretty soft because 70gn Nosler ballistic tips almost invariably go straight thru in the same situation .
Great for kangaroos but wouldn't be too keen on using the Berger on anything larger unless velocity was lower / range longer . Guess if high BC is what you're after then you are thinking about ranges longer than the 500 odd yards that you have found achievable with the 95 Nosler ? Assuming you won't be taking "Texas heart shots" with a 6mm at that range maybe quick expansion would be a good thing?

[ 08-06-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

have with 95 gr. combined technolegy very acc. have killed deer out 400 yrds 4350 hodg.powder

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.