6mm-06 build thoughts

Oklahomahunter

Hey guys, I'm new here but I've been lurking and reading for a long time. I want to build a 6-06 off a Howa action that I currently have. I plan on going with an 8 or 9 twist to shoot the 107gr Matchkings and the 95gr ballistic tips. If I cut the barrel back to 24" what kind of velocity can I expect to lose? I also plan on either a McMillan or HS stock. Another question is that I have been looking at the Shilen barrels as that is what I have on my custom 300 and am very pleased with it. Does anyone know the cost to have them chamber and thread for the 6-06? This thing is going to be used for an occasional deer rifle, but will likely see most of its time chasing coyotes and antelope. Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

I shoot a .243 Ackley Imp. with a 9 twist 27" heavy varmint contour and shoot the 105 A-Max's very well. They run about 3250fps With N-165.
Took my antelope at 375 this but wanted to try an 800 but they were bunched just too close for the wind I had that day. They had been hunted for over 3 week on that ranch.

The 95 Bergers shot alot better than the 95 Bal-Tips for me but had to run them no faster than 3250, duh, try the heavier bullets.

I think the 107SMK's call for the 8 or even faster twist

The 6-06 has always impressed me and if I ever shoot the barrel out on that 270 it will become a 6-06. The 24" barrel will lose some velocity @ 30 fps per in and may give some muzzle flash if your powder is too slow.

The cost will depend on the individual 'smith you employee to do your work. Get an idea from the links below.

Welcome to LRH! Alot of great folks here.

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

PAC-NOR Barreling, Inc. - Price List

I have the 243AI, 6mm-06 imp and 240 gibbs. If I were going with the 24" barrel I would go with the 243 AI because it is a more efficient case design and will perform better in the shorter barrel with less velocity loss. It is not quite as fast as the others but not far behind either. One of the most accurate rifles I own is a 243 AI on a Howa action. I have shot 300 yard groups from 1/2" to 7/8" with it several times.

IMHO a 6mm/06 needs a 26" tube, if you want 24" stick to a 6mm Rem or a 243AI. I have built 3 so far, 2 Kreiger 1-10 and 1 Rock 1-8. In the Kreiger I can shoot 85gr TSX's at 3670 and 95gr VLD's at 3500. In the Rock tube a friend is launching 80gr TTSX's at 3800fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts