687 Yard Blesbok

I've seen this one and one other recently that you've posted, and all of the normal "you're awesome and Hammer rules " applies, don't worry. Big fan here 🤣

......but is it just my eyes or did he hit in front of the shoulder here, just like the other vido also? Maybe I'm losing the trace and it went right into the crease. 700 yards on the plains in a cross wind isn't exactly a chip shot so not dinging the shooter at all, more so thinking that dang that thing didn't go far even if it was hit on the front edge of the leg.

Edit: Found the other Video:

This video one made me go hmmmm because the 181 in my 30-06 has been flat out dropping whitetail in their socks, and that Lechwe is solidly in the whitetail weight range. Maybe it penetrated the shoulder blade without trashing it and it could still run. Maybe it was just the "no heart and lungs" burst of energy animals get when they're dead and don't know it yet. Either way, great shots, the 180 and 181 are my favorites in the line up.

Sable is obviously 2-3x bigger than either Lechwe or deer, so even if he was hit perfect I'd expect a different reaction from that animal.

Last edited:
I've seen this one and one other recently that you've posted, and all of the normal "you're awesome and Hammer rules " applies, don't worry. Big fan here 🤣

......but is it just my eyes or did he hit in front of the shoulder here, just like the other vido also? Maybe I'm losing the trace and it went right into the crease. 700 yards on the plains in a cross wind isn't exactly a chip shot so not dinging the shooter at all, more so thinking that dang that thing didn't go far even if it was hit on the front edge of the leg.

This video one made me go hmmmm because the 181 in my 30-06 has been flat out dropping whitetail in their socks, and that Lechwe is solidly in the whitetail weight range. Maybe it penetrated the shoulder blade without trashing it and it could still run. Sable is obviously 2-3x bigger than either Lechwe or deer, so even if he was hit perfect I'd expect a different reaction from that animal.

I was busting a gut. I thought the critter that back into view first was the one hit. I was thinking man what tough critter, then there goes the one shot cross the screen plowing dirt for the dirt nap! 🤣🤣🤣

This video one made me go hmmmm because the 181 in my 30-06 has been flat out dropping whitetail in their socks, and that Lechwe is solidly in the whitetail weight range. Maybe it penetrated the shoulder blade without trashing it and it could still run. Maybe it was just the "no heart and lungs" burst of energy animals get when they're dead and don't know it yet. Either way, great shots, the 180 and 181 are my favorites in the line up.

Sable is obviously 2-3x bigger than either Lechwe or deer, so even if he was hit perfect I'd expect a different reaction from that animal.

I think African game's heart/lungs are higher/farther front than American whitetail /elk. Perhaps that is why the shot looks /is more frontal.

For African plains game (Kudu, Sable, Blesbok, Oryx, etc) and other Asian antelope, the best shot placement is not "behind the shoulder" like on a whitetail. It is straight up the front leg, lower 1/3 of the body. As was pointed out above, the heart and lungs are more forward on them than on a whitetail.

Yup, I've just spent the last hour going over shot placement on African game. Crazy that the lungs are in such a different place.

Learning more every day....