675 yard double score

shiredude

Well I've been trying to stretch the legs on one of my rifles on deer or other big critters. I've previously had confirmed kills on deer with this particular set up at 460, 505 and 540 yds and wanted something further. It's not easy finding something that far away with a good spot to shoot from in western Oklahoma, especially while you are seriously trying to kill a trophy, but I finally got er done.
I was set up on hill overlooking a food plot. Lots of doe on field, but none that were further than 550. I waited for about 90 minutes and finally, 3 walked out at 680 and started grazing. I confirmed range at 675 three times with the Swaro. Dialed up 11.75 MOA, wind was in my face, squeezed the 1 lb trigger = stoned her. She kicked for a minute but was done. I calmed down and was watching other deer in field. They didn't know what happened, just went back to feeding. I dialed my scope back to zero and was going to put all my stuff away. All of the other deer started blowing and stomping, but I figured it was just because one of their friends was laying there motionless. That's when something appeared out of the creek. A bobcat walked out and started circling my downed doe, got up on her *** and then moved toward her head/neck area. My heart started thumping as I dialed the scope back up and loaded a round. Waited for broadside, squeezed one off. Didn't see the bullet impact but the kitty kat ducked down like something flew over its head, I jacked another one in and held just at the bottom of its body. Seen the bullet impact directly behind it as she fell over. 2 kills in under 10 minutes at 675 yards laying side by side! The bobcat took it through the throat while the doe got both lungs taken out and a little shrapnel in the spine. The Berger did pretty well, just a pencil hole going in but exited pretty large. It didn't demolish the lungs but left about a golf ball size hole through both of them. I think that 750 or so will be getting toward the end of the 115's effective killing range on deer size game but we'll see about that at a later time. I will probably never get another shot from that far on a sneaky ole bobcat, but at least I can say I smoked one from 675!

The doe in the crosshair is not the one I shot, that one is only 550 or so.

243 Ackley Improved built on a Surgeon action in a McMillan stock, topped with a Nightforce 8x32x56 NXS scope, Jewel trigger, Krieger barrel, shooting 115 gr Berger hand loads in Lapua brass.
Swarovski rangefinder
Nikon spotting scope

Gun
newack.jpg

Crosshairs
crosshair.jpg

Deadpile
675.jpg

Entrance wound
Entrance.jpg

Exit hole
Exit.jpg

Very nice shooting! Great score on the cat. Beauty looking rifle. Do you know the percentage on the black/red on it? Looks real nice.

Thanks for the comments guys.
SLopeshunter, I cant find my tag that came off the McMillan, dont know the percentage of colors, but it was not a special order or anything. Just told them black w/ some red in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.