.662 H-13 vs. .660 JH Choke in Rem

Broken Brow

Got some nice weather this week, so I did a little shooting. On opening day, hunting temperatures normally start at around 35 degrees in the morning and hit 60 degrees in the afternoon. On a warm day it might hit 70 degrees and at that temperature, my pattern maxes out at 57 yards. So I spend time patterning at that distance and check the results against the temperature.

When I shot it was only 58 degrees. At that temperature, I know I can get killing patterns out to 55 yards. I decided to pattern at 57 yards to see what would happen. At 57 yards, I still averaged 101 pellets in the 10, but the actual pattern counts ranged anywhere from 88 to 117. Since a number of patterns started dropping below the 100-pellet minimum, I made the decision to stick with my original 55-yard max and only stretch it out on the warmest days.

The Jelly head choke shot slightly better than the H-13 choke, but they are very close. On different days at different distances, I have actually seen the results reversed. It would take a lot of shooting to really verify any difference due to the normal pattern variation that is seen.

One thing of note. When approaching 60 yards, I do see a difference in POI between the 2 chokes. In my gun the Jelly head shoots a little lower, so be careful about interchanging chokes at long range.

I suppose it would help if I mention what I was shooting. lightbulb

It was the 12 gauge 3.5" H-13 7's in a Remington Super Mag.

I shoot a Remington 870 express magnum 3" with winchester High Velocity #5s with a .660 Jelly Head choke, if I do my part its a 60yd gun but I dont like to shoot anything over 50. I shot a bird a couple weeks ago that I thought was within 40 yds, I graveyarded him and stepped it off at 48 steps he never moved after the gun went off. I love my Jellyhead.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.