650 Yard Antelope, Not bad for a 12 year old

Broz

I had the pleasure of joining my hunting buddy today with his son Dillon on his first antelope hunt. We had been watching a very nice Palamino Speed Goat at 650 yards. The buck was bedded and seemed to be happy staying there. At first they wanted to wait for hm to stand up. But after about a half hour I suggested if Dillon was satisfied that there was a good shot behind the front shoulder, a bedded antelope is a better shot. The better part is he is not going to move or take a step at the time of the shot and you dont have the posiblity of taking off a leg. It will either be all buck or a miss in most cases. Dillon was confident he could stick one in behind the front shoulder. He was shooting the 7mm/300 win I put together for his dad. The rifle sends 180 Berger VLD's at just under 3200 fps. We ranged the buck at 650 yards, with an 11:00 4 mph wind. Dialed the IOR 6~24 scope up 8 moa. and .5 moa left for wind. Dillon got his hold, leveled her up and touched it off. The buck rolled over and never kicked. This is one happy camper for his first year of hunting Montana big game as he just turned 12 years old. Muley's and Elk beware. Dillon is a great young hunter and even did the field dress him self. Nice to see a young hunter make a first round heart shot at this distance. I am proud to know him.

The Bergers did an excellant job again and the buck never knew what hit him.

Jeff

Dillon and his first antelope.
DSC02659Small.jpg

With the rifle

DSC02665Small.jpg

Entrance hole

DSC02660Small.jpg

Exit hole about 1 1/2" after catch ribs, the heart 1/2 a lung, ribs again,and a shoulder

DSC02661Small.jpg

The heart

DSC02663Small.jpg

Thanks for the story and the pics! Thanks especially for getting another new hunter recruited; that boy is hooked!

Awesome shot and performance by shooter, rifle, and bullet.

Nice!!! It's sure good to start right, glad to see another one get started good! My buddy killed his first goat this Saturday, he's now a long range addict, couldn't stop giggling.:D

Well done Dillion. I know the feeling Boz. I had the pleasure of seeing a friend of mines son take his first white tail over 500 yds. It's great to see young people that excited over the sport. Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.