61 hogs with bow in 1 month

BlackStreak

Summer time heat has the pigs held up on the creeks and tanks during the heat of the day. I've been walking the creeks and slipping up on the tanks during the mid day heat and finding a good many in the water. At night I go to hay or wheat fields and slip up on them with night vision. The pigs destroy the round bails in such a manner that you can't haul them if ths bails are left in the field for very long. Wheat fields that once had yearling cattle turned out on them are a strong draw for pigs at night if there is ample shade and water within a half mile or so of the good source . One particular field has well over a hundred hogs a night in it. there will be about 7 groups of them and rarely do two groups merge. This makes for lots of opportunity as you can shoot one or two pigs from each group before that group gets spooked enough to leave the field for the night . lighted arrow knocks are extremely handy for arrow retrieval on pass through shots. Normally u can slip up to within twenty yards on a dark night but forty yards is about mass on the bright nights.
when I hunt the hay bails there isn't normally but one group on them. Shoot one and they will just move down a couple bails see. I have learned a lot during the past month about pigs and shooting them with archery equipment. I have done some field testing on different broad heads on the big Tiddlers with the extremely broad shoulders and thick sheids. As a result I have totally result I have changed what I now put on the business end of my arrows. I hardly hunt the same creek or field back to back. Normally I'll make a circle that takes there days befors hunting the same area. This couple with the now keeps them pretty worry free. At least till the government boys come in with their helicopter and killem all in a couple days time.

I have lots of pictures, ok try and post some tomorrow from my laptop. I've never posted pics before. I've been now hunting for about 8 years and had been shooting mechanicals for the majority of the time. I wasn't doing very good with the huge boars. I wanted to try a fixed blade so I did some studying. I bought a right helical fletching jig and put 5 inch veins with helical on my arrows to better stabilize my arrows with the broad heads on them. I then had to put a fall away rest on. My favorite broad head is the G5 Montec. The Hell Razors are similar also and I like.g them also. I'm shooting 125 grain heads. as long as you can keep up with these broad heads you can just resharpen and reuse. I even practiced with them, sharpen them and hunt with them. Forty bucks for 3 Montecs or forty for 4 hell razors but they are good till you loose them. I've tried the muzzy 125 grainers but the muzzys don't penetrate big boars like the other two. Muzzys work as I have taken my biggest boar with one but only got 7 inches penetration on him. I did a side by side test at 15 yards on a big dead boar hog between the Muzzys and the G5 Montecs. Got 8 inches penetration with the Muzzys and slightly half the length of.net 25.5 inch arrow with the Montec. The boar was approxIcarly 225 pounds. Been stuck on that design broad head ever since.
At first I wasn't using lightes knocks at night. That changed very quick cause i couldn't find the pass through arrows. I bought a bunch of lumenocks but couldn't get them to work buy.half the time. So I then read the instructions. Realized I didn't have them snug enough eventhough I had them matched to my arrow. My success rate went up a little but not much. I was frustrated with them and decided I would put them in so right that they couldn't work. started using them in the daylight creek hunts and to my amazement the lumenocks were working every time I'm extremely happy with the lumenocks now that I've figured out how to use them lol. Oh, I use a sniper hog light that takes the place of my stabilizer when I'm hunting the fields at night

Trying to upload pics for the first time. Bare with me, my outdoor skills are a little better than my computer skills.

Attachments

• 20120627_000131.jpg
    20120627_000131.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 20120703_190051.jpg
    20120703_190051.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20120708_151646.jpg
    20120708_151646.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 20120708_171604.jpg
    20120708_171604.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3487.jpg
    IMG_3487.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_8920.jpg
    IMG_8920.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 130
GITTER DONE DUDE !!

This guy knows him some hog killing and what bow and broadhead it takes to do it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AaCIcxz-5U]hog kill zone - YouTube[/ame]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are SO lucky to have hunting like that around your place -good for you.

Keep the pictures and stories coming.
Ckeck out the cut on contact type heads -african hunters can't be wrong and live to tell about it.
Forget mechanicals -stick with the cut on contacts heads and very heavy arrows like the guy in the youtuber says.

I'm setting up a bow hoyt powerhawk just for trophy bore hunting here in florida -72# pull -easton full metal jacket arrows and magnus two blade buzzcuts -w/the 50gr weight the arrows come with they will weigh in at 700+grains -just like this ol boy recommends.
Thanks for posting -i'll be after them this weekend at my lease here in FL..

Awesome job!! I need a bowhunting buddy like you! I will kill a hog with my bow one of these days! Good job and keep thinning the herd!

My favorite broad head is the G5 Montec. The Hell Razors are similar also and I like.g them also. I'm shooting 125 grain heads. as long as you can keep up with these broad heads you can just resharpen and reuse. I even practiced with them, sharpen them and hunt with them. Forty bucks for 3 Montecs or forty for 4 hell razors but they are good till you loose them. using them in the daylight creek hunts and to my amazement the lumenocks

I really like the Montecs but how the hell do you get them sharp - any hints or tricks would be appreciated.

That's a good question. I resharpening them with a diamond stone but have tried lots of different sharpening tools and can't ever get them sharp enough to shave like I would like. I've even used the G5 sharpening tool and had better results with a diamond stone. I continue to try new things if they seem like they have potential for being better suited for me. I bought a package of Muzzy 125 grain phantoms. They are a cut on contact blade have 4 cutting surfaces. I haven't tested them side by side in a penetration test with the montecs on a huge bosts shoulder, but that being said I've been getting good penetration with them. The four blades leave a nice blood trail BUT same with the Montecs, if you don't hit them good you don't get your pig. What my favorite part of the muzzy phantoms is, is that you can take the broad head apart and get the blades so sharp they shave. Only bad thing I've discovered with them is out of the 6 pigs I've killed with them, I've had two of the broad heads get bent. I threw the first one away thinking it just hit a thick dense bone. The very next hunt I bent another. How discouraging! I was really loving them. I saved the broad head and disassembled it. I put it on my rockchucker and pressed it back straight and continued shooting it. I love the montecs but I have OCD when it comes to getting things sharp. As a result I tend to shoot the Muzzy 125 grain Phantoms as my first choice. I sharpen them on a diamond stone then finish them off with about 20 strokes per side on a long steal sharpening stick like a lot of chefs use. They will shave like a razor when I'm done. Then I just put the blades back together. Sorry I can't tell ya how to get the montecs that lol

Black streak: you are an honest man - and a mean pig hunter. I love the solid build, simplicity, and flight of the Montecs but just can't get over not being able to get them hair shaving sharp. I'm about ready to try the G5 Striker and say the hell with sharpening and just buy replacement blades.

Well done! If there was ever an animal made for bowhunting..it's the pig. I use Slick Tricks. The blades can be taken off and sharpened easily. For that last final edge, I've found a leather strap with jewelers rouge does the trick.

I've had the muzzys bend also...went with the steel ST's and haven't looked back.

I have all but quite chasing the pigs the way I was. All the fields were plowed under a couple Weeks ago. There are still some pigs that come to the plowed fields every night but nothing like they were. When the wheat has a good start they will probably start coming back more and more and when deer season comes to an end and I'm not out on the lakes catching blue cat, I'll be after the pigs again. I plan to try some slick tricks out when I start back. Maybe they will fly really well, even at the longer distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts