60moa mount 100yd zero?

R.Morehouse

Hope someone can help me out with this. 230 Hybred going 3000fps...60moa scope mount....70moa elevation in scope. Can I zero this set-up at 100yds ? If not...Can you tell me the minimum amount of ele. needed to get there.. or the closest I can zero this set-up to the nearest 50yd...Thank's Rick

The scope is a Sightron 8-32X56 LRMOA reticle.

Talk about a downhill mount, thats it.....:D

The mount must look like an adjustment wedge for shimming door frames.

I believe I'd zero at 300 and be done with it. I actually sight my rifles in at 300 all the time, you can always dial down or use the holdover in the reticle.

My only 100 yard sight in was my 223 that I shoot 100 yard matches with.

If your scope has 70 min of elevation travel, how do you intend to zero it at all when you fit it ? Assuming no error on mount, action, barrel or scope the most you can dial down will be 35min, thus leaving you with +25 min for your zero point. On many scopes that is 2 rotations of the turret. That sounds like a 700 yard+ zero to me... Just how far do you intend to be shooting that makes you want a 60 min rail ? Perhaps you should spend a bit more on the scope and get something with more internal adjustment ?

I have no problem picking up another scope. The new N.Force has 125min+. I am asking where my existing equip. will get me...That's all. The 60min mount is an older N.Force, I believe thay only did one run of them. The Gun is a 300 Lapua custom from Gre-Tan that sports a 34" custom taper Lilja tube. Yep...Set-up to get out there for sure.

AT:

Before you look at more MOA in the scope, seriously consider moving away from the current rail/mounting solution. Instead consider "external" adjustment. Specifically, consider the Ivey Shootings' RT-150 base and rings combo ("ring set") - 150 MOA, all UP! Zero your scope wherever you like (I also prefer 100 since that distance is available almost universally at any place considered an outdoor rifle range) and go from there as your situation requires. The brief info they post is at RT-150 RING SET

BTW, while they don't list it, they also have a 40mm combo - they built extras when they recently built my customs (for my Terminator).

Good shooting!

In order to use a 60 MOA base you will need 60 MOA of down travel to zero which means you will in reality need over 120 MOA total travel. 125 MOA would be cutting it real close. Every scope is different. Some might have 130 total travel and some less than 125 MOA travel. My 5.5-22 which is supposed to have 100 MOA of travel, actually has about 98. My 3.5-15 has 115 MOA of travel.

Also, I would not want to bottom out my scope turret to zero. And... can not think why you would ever need 120 MOA of up correction. That is like artillery trajectory. Your 230 Bergers with an MV of 3000 are going to go subsonic before you get to 70 MOA of needed correction.

Go with a 40 MOA base if you use a NF NXS or a 20 if you use the Sightron. If you can find a 30 MOA base it "might" work with the Sightron.

Thank's for the input. The 60min came on the gun. I will be looking into the mentioned options. Just not quite sure what I am going to settle on for glass. I guess with the extrenal adj. rings I could just stick with the N.F. BR 8-32 NPR1 that sits on it now. The front Lupy ring is shimmed so it does zero at 100 and still runs fine out to 1000 with the 50moa adj. in the scope. With the adj. rings I would dump the 60 base for a zero min. This is some fun stuff....Thank's again for the brain food......Rick

In most cases you can't go wrong with a 20 min base. More than that only for special applications (maybe shooting long range muzzleloader ?) with something that has a radical trajectory. I have rarely heard of a 30 minute base, but even that is half of what you are talking about.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.