60gr V-Max WOW !!!!!

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by uncleB, Jul 24, 2006.

1. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

I recently picked up an AR-15, I figured that I needed one rifle that was not a single shot bolt action. this rifle has a 1-8" twist barrel that refuses to shoot 55gr ammo. so I have been doing some tinkering to see what bullets it likes 69gr SMK's shoot well but not really a good coyote bullet so I tried some 60gr V-Max's and they shot really well on paper so I thought this weekend would be a good test to see how they work on rockchuck's WOW these bullet's come un-done like no other bullet I have ever seen (incredible air time)
    Are they that much more fragile than the 40-50 and 55gr V-Max's or does the extra rpm of the 1-8" even at a lower velocity make that much difference ??????
    I thought about posting pic's but figured it would be too much.
    UB

2. IChaseCoues

IChaseCoues Well-Known Member

Last weekend I shot my first ladder test with guess what:
    An AR-15 24" bbl. and 60 gr v max's.
    I will post some pics later, but it seemed to like about 3150 fps with Varget.
    Five or so shots made a ragged hole at 300.
    I think I will try to develop that load a little more for PD shooting.
    From what you stated above, it seems some aerial displays may be seen!
    Will find out.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

The twist may have something to do with it. I have shoot them in a 8 twist 22-250 at full throttle and the groundhogs come unglued /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I also tried the 60 grain spires and half would not make it to the target. I think the RPM's is helping the bullet fail... I'm currently shooting a 75 V-max in my 243AI 10 twist and it is staying in the critters at 480 yards. I missed one at 350 and found fragments of the bullets in a 2" hole in the ground.... they really come unglued! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sam in Va.

4. Nomosendero

Nomosendero Well-Known Member

I have a 24" Varmiter RRA 1-8 that loves the 60 V-Max & the 77SMK even more. I am afraid the 77 will not give the terminal performance I desire but everyone that tries the 60V-Max claim great results & I know a Coyote caller that shoots many Coyotes up close & they work for that too even though explosive. Hope to pop a few Varmits in August.

5. esorensen

esorensen Well-Known Member

What is the load you are using?