607 yards with the ol 223 rem

500mag_guy

Well out dinking around with the 223 rem. Weatherby Vanguard sub-moa shooting 50gr nosler ballistic tips. today set up at my zero (100 yards ) dropped my normal 3 shots into a little ragged hole. So stepped it out to 300 yards set to my 200 yard mark and pop 32oz bottle gone. (Set to my 200 yard mark due to lots of practice and knowing how it shoots.) Stepped it out to 405 yards held on my 400 yard mark right over the top. Set it right between 300 and 400 yard marks 32 oz bottle gone. Alright lets move it out one more time. 607 yards. Well on the walk there and back it started a nice little 5-7 mph wind. So first shot i held right on my 600 yard mark right on the bottle. To see what the wind was going to do to my bullet. Squeezed it off and the bullet drifted aprox. 1moa to the left but perfect for height it appeared. Held 1 moa to the right and squeezed off. Right in front of it. Alright one more and i got it i held right at the top of the 32oz bottle and my 1 moa to the right. Bang there goes my 32 oz bottle at 607 yards.

I know this isnt long range shooting by any means but i was quite impressed the little 50gr. Bullet did so well. I wish i could try further out but my scope is maxed out at 600.

Oh well the 600 yard mark for a 50gr 223 rem is a pretty big mile stone id say.

Sorry just had to share, but thanks for reading

Got hooked on the very same thing with a50 gr nosler and my RRA. Went from there to my bolt .223. It will keep you on your toes for sure especially in the wind. I use one of my .223 to introduce newbies to distance on calmer days shooting small balloons at 500 plus. Instant feedback and usually the next thing out of their mouths is now I want 1000. At that point usually switch to a 6.5 and go from there. Lots of fun.

Ya i love my 223 weatherby or should i say the ol ladies 223. After she shot it for the first time it immediately became hers. Haha but with that thing we can shoot prairie dogs at 300 yards without even think about it. Only reason we dont shoot them any further is because we usually run out of distance. gun)

hey just out of curoisity what BC are you using? I had to fiddle a bit and ended up going to a g6 to get any sort of reliability to transonic and beyond. g1 was great to close to 5 and then ??? Just curious.

Gotta love the .223 loaded with that 50 gr Ballistic Tip. My best so far with mine on PD's is 2 shots one right after the other. One PD at 636 backed up with one at 599. Gotta learn to shoot the wind and dial them up but the bullet and gun can do it. I'm guessing but I think I can do 700 Plus on PD with it if I can do my part. Don't get much for splatter affect, they just fall over dead. :)

BC = ballistic coefficient. It is a figure used to describe how aerodymamic your bullet is.

BTW...anything shot with a 223 beyond 400 yards is longrange!

BC = ballistic coefficient. It is a figure used to describe how aerodymamic your bullet is.

BTW...anything shot with a 223 beyond 400 yards is longrange!

Hahahahah thank you but i know what b.c. means i was just curious as to what he was looking for with it.

Ill have to take a look at the box in a little bit.

And ya i was pretty impressed that the little 50gr'er hit a 32oz powerade bottle at 607 yards.

500 are you doing this with factory fodder? If so that is truly impressive. I had to tweak my loads quite a bit to get that little 50 gr pill to connect over 400 at sub moa. Don't flame me guys but I am actually using H335 to do it. If only that powder was extreme. Next goal for the little .22s are the 53gr vmax. I have a swift, 2 22-250 and a wssm I wanna try those in as well. I love shooting distance with the little guns. Keeps things real. Don't get me wrong my 230 berger ballistic cruise missles are fun too but I can do it so much cheaper with a .22 cal. Keep up the good work 500.

500 are you doing this with factory fodder? If so that is truly impressive. I had to tweak my loads quite a bit to get that little 50 gr pill to connect over 400 at sub moa. Don't flame me guys but I am actually using H335 to do it. If only that powder was extreme. Next goal for the little .22s are the 53gr vmax. I have a swift, 2 22-250 and a wssm I wanna try those in as well. I love shooting distance with the little guns. Keeps things real. Don't get me wrong my 230 berger ballistic cruise missles are fun too but I can do it so much cheaper with a .22 cal. Keep up the good work 500.

Oh no!! It took me about 2 weeks of every night after work trying different powder charges different powders different oal's. Then when i thought i couldnt do any better with this rifle at a 1/2" group. Bang!! We hit the motherload!!! I have to aim a fuz out of my previous hole to even see anything showing there is anything but that one bullet hole.

I almost have so much work into this load it would be almost hard to share it.

I will tell you this its over max recommended load. But its what worked perfect in my rifle without any pressure signs.

Thanks, 500

I have never used my 55gr to shoot that long, because I buy cheap 55grainers. But I have enjoyed some 700 yard fun with the 69 SMK. Wind eats my *** alive after that. I've made hits at 1K but it's a wind guessing game and moving target. It's real fun to see what they can do, even though there is not much left out there.

Thanks for sharing.

H-380 and H-414 were always very good to me with the .220 swift and the 50-55gr bullets.

If you guys switch to faster twist rifles shooting 75-80 grain A-Max bullets you could really strech range. Making hits that far with 50 grain pills is really pushing it

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.