600 yard midrange rifle?'s

darrindlh

Guys
I need your help!! Which rifle would you choose for a max yardage of 600 yrd on deer, elk and game and eventually after many many hours of practice and a couple long range shooting classes I would like to make the 1 mile shot on my steel target. which one guys 338 win mag, 338rum or 300win. All opinions welcome

Thanks
Darrin

Any of the calibers you name could make the 600 yard shot on elk. For the 1mile shot, I would recommend going with the 338edge - better velocity than the cartridges you named.

Guys
I need your help!! Which rifle would you choose for a max yardage of 600 yrd on deer, elk and game and eventually after many many hours of practice and a couple long range shooting classes I would like to make the 1 mile shot on my steel target. which one guys 338 win mag, 338rum or 300win. All opinions welcome

Thanks
Darrin

Don't mind me saying this but I'd have two rifles one I could enjoy hunting with other one get real serious about shooting one mile from a bench.

For the 600 yards get a factory rifle in 338 winchester. Does great without a brake. I prefer the tikka t-3 light in 338 winchester. 600 yards does not require the extra cost, noise or powder consumption of anything bigger than the winchester.

Now for the mile. Get a nice custom rifle designed for that when you are ready for it. The 338 winchester shooting the 225 grain Rocky Mountain bullet with a .773 BC at 2950 fps will get you the mile. But a mile needs a good custom rifle.

Thanks guys abunch!! It is awesome to know that if I have a question about shooting longrange I can come here and get good quality responses. I will go with the 338 wm. This rifle will give me enough practice and keep me occupied for a real long time so that I can save up for that great custom long range rig when I feel ready.

LTR how do the rockey mountain 225 grn bullets perform on game animals? And what would be needed to get a 338wm to reach 2950 with the 225grn bullet? Is that Even doable ?

Thanks
Darrin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts