600 yard midrange rifle?'s

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by darrindlh, Oct 25, 2010.

1. darrindlh

darrindlh Well-Known Member

Guys
    I need your help!! Which rifle would you choose for a max yardage of 600 yrd on deer, elk and game and eventually after many many hours of practice and a couple long range shooting classes I would like to make the 1 mile shot on my steel target. which one guys 338 win mag, 338rum or 300win. All opinions welcome

Thanks
    Darrin

2. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Any of the calibers you name could make the 600 yard shot on elk. For the 1mile shot, I would recommend going with the 338edge - better velocity than the cartridges you named.

3. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

Don't mind me saying this but I'd have two rifles one I could enjoy hunting with other one get real serious about shooting one mile from a bench.

4. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

For the 600 yards get a factory rifle in 338 winchester. Does great without a brake. I prefer the tikka t-3 light in 338 winchester. 600 yards does not require the extra cost, noise or powder consumption of anything bigger than the winchester.

Now for the mile. Get a nice custom rifle designed for that when you are ready for it. The 338 winchester shooting the 225 grain Rocky Mountain bullet with a .773 BC at 2950 fps will get you the mile. But a mile needs a good custom rifle.

5. darrindlh

darrindlh Well-Known Member

Thanks guys abunch!! It is awesome to know that if I have a question about shooting longrange I can come here and get good quality responses. I will go with the 338 wm. This rifle will give me enough practice and keep me occupied for a real long time so that I can save up for that great custom long range rig when I feel ready.

LTR how do the rockey mountain 225 grn bullets perform on game animals? And what would be needed to get a 338wm to reach 2950 with the 225grn bullet? Is that Even doable ?

Thanks
    Darrin

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010