600 mohawk

600BP

Hoping for a little help on this one..I have a 600 Mohawk in a .243 that was handed down. It was MY first deer rifle when I was twelve. My son is now of age and he loves the rifle more than I did. Loves it to the point that I think he shot the barrel out. Without dragging this on, my question is:
I would like to have a new barrel put on, a .260 or 6.5x47 (hvy 20") for the boy. HS Precision makes a nice stock for the gun. My only concern is are the DBM's made for the 700 SA's compatible with the 600 actions. I would really like to do this right for the boy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Erik

I got this rifle approximately 23 years ago when I was 8 years old. Just got it out a couple months ago to see what it would do. At that time I was shooting 105 speer and found that they shot about an inch and a half at 100. Tried a bunch of diff bullets and loads and finally found the load! Begore you rebarrel it try the 95 berger vld hunting with h 4350. As always work up but mine really likes 41.5:grains. Keep us posted wit the upgrade you go with. I did find a guy online that sales aluminium bottom mettal for that gun. Google 600 Mohawk bottom metal or floor plate and you will see it. If not o saved the info so pm me and and I can get it. What a sweet little gun!

Glad to see someone else has got an old Mohawk 600 around. I hadn't thought about mine in a lot of years until I decided to finally get the insurance inventory completed last weekend and dug the little gun out of the far dark corner of the safe. Brought back a lot of memories of S TX whitetails, coyotes and hogs. Originally chambered in 6mm, with who only knows how many thousands of rounds thru it, I decided that I would rebarrel it with a Krieger chambered in 6 AI, add a Jewell trigger and restock it for a gift for my grandson. It's already got the bottom metal on, so should be a nice and serviceable rifle for a bunch more decades.

I do recall, that most of the 600's had a recall on them for bad trigger sears and had a problem with dropping the firing pin as the bolt was closed. You may want to check that closely before finishing it up.

S
omeone had mentioned the recall to me, so I called Remington a couple of weeks ago. They said the recall was due to not being able to open the bolt with the gun on safety. she said if i send it in they would fix the gun so that the bolt could be opened with the gun on safety. as it is now, you have to put it on fire to open the bolt. she said there were no other recalls and that there were no problems of the gun going off, but they consider it a safety issue that you have to put the gun on fire to unload it.

she also said, they would have to change the trigger out with a new trigger.

laslty, there is a fee for all of this. they are glad to do it, but i believe she said it would cost $25.00 and they consider it optional.

just fyi, and this is just the information i received.

have a good day.

Thanks for the replies. I had the rifle serviced for the trigger/safety problem a while ago. Glad to see that there are still some 600's out there. I'm hoping that I can get the work done to make a good carry rifle for my son. I will let you know once I talk my local smith.

Also thanks for the load data. I will give them a shot, but this is the third generation of hunters in my family that is using that stick. It may just be that time to put a new tube on her.

Thanks again
Erik

I have a 600 in 6mm and a 660 in .308. Both have steel bottom metal and shoot great with factory ammo. I've had the .308 since the 70's and have shot dozens of animals with it, including my first elk. Your son will be loving that gun for a long time.

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.