6 mm Remington Problem!

mrussell

I have a difficult question. I have a Remington 700 VLS in 6 mm rem with the 1:9 1/8" twist. I started to shoot the 95 gr VLD and the 105 gr A-Max bullets in it. I started with IMR4064 and worked up a load 40.0 grains with a VLD touching the lands (vel. 3210 FPS) for it that it loved. I pulled 5 shots in a .348" group at 100 yds. I love the gun, but these days I am having a hard time finding IMR 4064 powder to shoot in it. So, I went and looked and picked up some Reloaded 19 for it. I was talking to a guy at the range and he told me if I wanted to improve more I could try a powder that would fill the case a little more i will keep a consistance ignite time. So, I tried the RL19 and came home with mixed feelings about the powder. I measured my vel of 47.0 grains of RL19 and recorded 3080, 2899, 2749 and 2821. Why would that powder give me such a difference in vel? The conditions at the range were 32 deg, with a 10-15 mph wind in my face.
Is there a different powder I should try in my gun?
I also was shooting same weight of brass in 1.0 grain increments, head stamps same!
I replaced the stock with a B&S Varmint/Tactical stock! (Group shot with new stock)
Is there a better powder I should try which is not as temp sensitive as the two I have already tried?
Or, I just need to buy ALOT of IMR4064 to keep on hand for shooting it!!!

58 gr.vmax imr3031
75 gr.vmax imr4831
80gr sierra imr4064

All shoot .75 or less at 100 yrd
just started a load with 105 a-max,will let u know how i make out.staring with re19.

IMR4064 is a true unsung hero in the accuracy dept. I ONLY buy it in 8 pound jugs for a reason.

Buy more next time. If we didn't have that damned hazmat crap to deal with, I'd ship you as much as you want.

I dont know about the rest of the US but here in Utah it is hard to get any componet for reloading. I have been laid off and have tryed to pinch the penny's.

Derk M. PM me and we could talk alittle more on the issue...

Stevenwoll - I shoot the 95 gr VLD and the 105 A-max. My gun loves them both. I tried to shoot the RL19 with the 105 and I would put 2 bullets in the same hole then the next bullet would be 1/2" off and the next bullet would touch the 3rd bullet, then come to the last round and it would print 1/2" other direction... Long story short I loved the potental of the 105's but RL19 was not consistant in the vel, and I am worried about the tempature aspect.

I shoot 43.5grs of IMR-4350 with 100gr bullets in my Rem.700 BDL with a 22" barrel.I chronographed it a around 3025fps and groups around 1/2"

Not having any experience with the slightly larger version, I have found a couple of powder which work extremely well in the .243 with those weight bullets.

Both H4350, and H1000 gave me top end velocities with the 95 - 100gr loads I have tried. These are both in the Extreme line and I haven't notice much if any differences in performance with temps ranging from 34 up through around 95 degrees.

The last loads I worked with have been with the newer Hybrid 100V which is showing great promise. It also looks like it puts up respectable numbers for the 6mm as well.

I don't know if you have any of the first two mentioned powders on hand or have access to them but if so I would give them a try if so. I highly doubt that either would let you down. I would go for the H4350 first as it will push the lighter weight just a tad faster and give you slightly more filled capacity than the load your currently using. The H1000 should work as well and will give you a full case compressed load with either bullet, and just slightly lower velocity with the lighter weights.

I have used H4350 since they brought it out and found it useful and very accurate in several calibers. It might not always get the last fps from a load but it is always consistent and does give very decent velocities across the board.

Good luck with your loading, and hopefully this helps.

I use fast burning powders (H380 / IMR4064) for 70 - 75 gr loads only. I do not use fast burning powders with 100gr bullets.

My powder of choice has been H4831 with the Sierra 100 gr SBT. You do have to be attentive to barrel cleaning duties when using this powder.

i know where talking about hard to find powders as it is but if you can get a hold of Norma MRP or Vihtavuori N560. They both show impressive velocities and generally are less temp sensitive.

i know where talking about hard to find powders as it is but if you can get a hold of Norma MRP or Vihtavuori N560. They both show impressive velocities and generally are less temp sensitive.

That got me to thinking about RL22 and the great success guys have having with it in the 270. The word has it that RL22 is as good as old MRP. That gets me wondering if RL22 might be worth a try in the 6mm Rem...? Just a thought.

I have a FN Mauser with a 26 inch barrel and had a difficult time getting any bullet from 85 -100 grain shoot well until I tried VVN 150 with 85 grain Sierra HPBT. This load showed promise. I then tried VVN 140 with 85 grain Sierra HPBT and they shoot 5 shot .385 groups! I think the alliant powders are temperature sensitive. I like using them in Weatherby loads but have noticed from different times of the year my groups seem to move with the difference in temp. Hope this helps.

George Garland of GA Precision uses REL25, and hes driving 115 dtacs at 3150 with a TAC rifle.

Try looking at that. We all know the man can shoot, and he loves the .243 cal.

Also, you should be able to squeeze a bit more with the 6mm Rem.

I like Hogdon HV100 and H414 myself.

Texas

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.