6 mm Norma BR. ok for goats & mulies?

Discussion in 'Antelope Hunting' started by joseph, Aug 30, 2009.

1. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

I Have a 6mm Norma BR. with a 1 in 8" twist that shoots Berger 105 Hunting VLDs very well. What do you think the maximum range would be if you think it will be humane kills.

If not a good choice I would buy a 7mm WSM.

joseph

PS: Oops, for prong horns & mulies.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. Rimfire

Rimfire Well-Known Member

I would skip it. I was considering using mine this year for speed goats BUT the wind is more of a problem than anything. I've killed a few deer @ 500 yards and over with the 6br, the longest being 760 and that was a tough kill even with a good shot. The 107 works well out to 400 then things get tougher. If I could pick the conditions I would bring mine out this year, but I cant bank on the Wyoming wind.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009

3. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

I'd absolutely use that combo!
    Max range would depend as to how tight group's are in the vital zone.

4. fordnutter

fordnutter Member

I'm watching this thread with great interest as I have just built myself a lightweight 6mmBR specifically for longish range varmint & goat busting.
    I'm still working on the load development and have chosen the 95gr Berger VLD as I have a 24" barrel so as not to add too much length when the suppressor is added. I think it should be more than capable to 600yards
    given the right weather conditions & good shot placement. Hopefully
    I can get out in the field soon to test this. Good Luck:D

5. CooperNV

CooperNV Active Member

I have limited experience with the 6BR, I just put one together this spring, I only got a couple hundered rounds down the pipe. Its a long range varminter, but I would use it on speed goats out to 600yds. The accuracy is there, with good bullet selection and a well placed shot it should be a done deal.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. fordnutter

fordnutter Member

Joseph,
    I guess i shouldn't be suprised with only a small amount of answers for you (& me). Perhaps you should also post the question over a www.6mmbr.com on the forums for perhaps a better response.
    I think the short answer is - if the weather is right (not too windy), target is ranged & compensated for (dial in the scope with accurate, tested drop chart)
    and with a good rest 600 yards is doable with a good "nut behind the butt"
    A local F-classer shooter who upon hearing I were building a 6mmBR for hunting simply "that will do just fine to 600yards". Incidently he is a very capable f-class shooter who is very highly ranked and yes shoots the 6mmBR.
    I be posting some field results hopefully not it the too far future.

7. Rimfire

Rimfire Well-Known Member

Do your part and it will work but, 600 is a long way for a little cartridge. I use it on a regular basis as a deer cull rifle and it works fine. Again dont expect spectacular kills the further out you get more often the further the deer run before they die. You will get a lot of good advice from all kinds of good shooters but untill you kill a bunch of deer It's easy to just say it will be fine. I shot a doe at 760 and it didn't even know it was hit. I watched the hit and it just walked off and stood there for about 30 seconds before it fell over dead. Most hit at longer range 400+ run. Goats in open country are one thing deer that can run into woods are another.
    Just my .02
    The last doe I shot at 465 yards DRT accuracy is not a problem and neck shots work extremely well
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  8. Guy M

Guy M Well-Known Member

If all goes well, the little bullet will do the job - but - some of those big Wyoming mulies are mighty tough and even walk off after hits from bigger cartridges.

I've successfully hunted mule deer with the 6mm Rem and my .25-06, but I think even those bullets are a little light at longer ranges. Just a thought. For longer ranges when the velocity has fallen off, I prefer a bigger bullet, say something in 7mm or .30 caliber to be sure of enough penetration on a 250 pound heavily muscled buck out there at 300+ yards.

BTW - the Berger VLD design works just like gunwriter John Barsness claims - nice penetration into the chest cavity, followed by utter destruction of the lungs & heart. Put that VLD in the boiler room and you're looking at success. I've only taken one mule deer with that bullet, but it worked well last season, and I may well use the VLD again this year.

Regards, Guy

9. Chopaka81

Chopaka81 Well-Known Member

The WY Outfitter I used for the Prairie Dog hunt this summer used a 6BR, 80gr BT Match style bullet to fill his antelope doe tag last year with a single shot to the head at 500 yds.
    Bottom line, it all depends on how well you can place your shot. gun)