6 mm Dasher

Thanks fellows! I have found that I will be shooting at 400 yards more than the 1000 yards. I'm just really wanting a good 6 mm cartridge that has proven genetics to at least reach out to the 1000 yard line occasionally. I was really impressed with the 6 BRA article that I read.

fire forming is a pain in the ***... but u won't be disappointed. Dashers have set ALOT of 1000yard world records. They will have more wind drift that 6.5, 7, 30 etc but that's just mathematics. It will surprise u how good it will shoot in the wind (if constant)
DO IT!!

The 6mm BR will work fine for 400 and the occasional 1K. You have the latter already covered with other calipers.

Can't go wrong with the BRA. Easier to make brass too. Just fire form 100 to break in the barrel and they will last the life of the barrel if you don't run hot loads. Look up loads and they are going to be very close. It's a very consistent round from gun to gun. 3 really good powders to work with. Vaportrails shoot real good with the BRA. On windy days your Creed with 147s will kick it's butt. Have fun.
Shep

I built an ultralight hunting gun in 6mm Dasher and am getting 2950 fps out of a 24" barrel with the 105s. From published internet data, the BRs and variants use much longer barrels than you would typically find on a hunting rig. Are you building a bench rider or a hunting gun? I wouldn't recommend anything less than the dasher in a short barrel for 1000 yards. I hear the 6 BR or PPC is the way to go for short ranges.

I use an Accurate Mag 308 magazine and have no feeding issues with stock configuration.

I also am building a 6mm Dasher. The reamer just came Friday. It is set up for a no-turn neck with the longer Norma cases. My range hosts monthly 600 yard benchrest matches. I also see the transition from Dashers to 6mm BR Ackley. More new rifles are being built with that chamber at my range. Most of the competitors are running Vapor Trail bullets.

There are so may 6mm BR variants that it can be hard to choose. I don't think you will find too many people that will disagree with the 105s at 2900 fps+ as a good combination for 1000 yards. I found fire forming brass fun. I did not like the lack of reloading die options for such a widely used case. I assume you reload and don't care about factory ammo options since you are considering the dasher case.

The 6Dasher is just an excellent cartridge.
It holds it's own in competitive use, and it would for hunting as well.
I say this because I believe that accuracy is the most powerful of all ballistic attributes.

Another similar performing cartridge is the 6.5x47L with 130gr bullets.

A friend of mine, that is a competitive shooter, found a deal for me and I picked up a 6x47 Lapua 6.5x47 Lapua necked down). The round is ridiculously easy to load for after you buy the brass and complete the necking down process. I loaded it with Varget and 105 Berger Hybrids.
We found out, shooting against competition rifles, that 6 BR, 6 Dasher, 243, 6 Creed, 6x47 Lapua 6XC... are all FAIRLY close in performance. It literally had more to do with the barrel than with cartridge choice. I vote for the Lapua for one main reason. The brass. After 8 shootings the brass had not needed to be trimmed or annealed. True, I was not pushing it, 2970fps. but the accuracy was incredible.

For background, I switched to 6 Dasher from 6.5 Creedmoor. At 1k my wind holds are the same pushing a 140 hybrid @2790 from the 6.5 Creed vs the 105 hybrid @2940 from the Dasher. (You can push them both harder but that's my real world, everyday data) Dasher elevation at 1k is .4 less than the 6.5. Plusses and minus to every 6mm variant out there. Dasher has been ridiculously easy to find loads for. Brass I just order the hydroformed Lapua. You'll not notice a difference in accuracy ringing steel. It's within .1 moa of my fire formed brass. So close I can't eliminate me as the variable. I've run Varget, H4350 and 8208.All provided under .5 moa with minimal load work up. My Dasher is tasked for PRS and with the ballistics so close out to 1k, it performs ballistically as well with less recoil. Its an efficient little cartridge and feeds well with the primal rights mag kit (many don't even use that). I have a little over 1200 rounds through it without a single FTF. I can't comment on the other 6mm variants as I haven't shot them but I have no regrets with my choice of the 6 Dasher.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.