6 mm Ackley

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I am thinking of having my 243 punched out to a 6mm Ackley so I can push the heavier bullets a little faster. Problem is, I don't want to have to buy a new set of dies. Will my 243 Lee collet die work on the improved 6mm? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
B.J.

no they will not work properly but a new set of Redding die's is not that expensive for such a good round IMHO
B

Thanks for the info. If I'm going to have to buy new dies I think I may go with the 6mm-284.

My next question would be, which dies? Are the Redding comp dies worth the money? Or will I be just as well off with a standard die set with a carbide expander? I don't really want to get into the neck turning and all that jazz just yet. I'm also kinda on a budget. I would like to keep the cost as low as possible, hopefully under $300.

While am thinking of shooting in a few competitions, currently, most of my shooting is done at our range with friends and @ PD town. I just want something to reach out there a little farther than my .243. I have killed several PD's past 500 yds to 550 yds with it but that seems to be about it's limit.

Hi,

I have a 6mm Ackley and all I've used for sizing is the Lee Collet Die. The Lee Collet Die for the 6mm Remington will also size the 6mm Ackley case. Also, check out Mike J's 6mm Ackley Improved web site. There is a lot of good load info on this site. Tell him The Big Dog sent you. I also have a picture of my 6mm Ackley posted there. Below is a link to that site.

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/6mmackley/

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.