6 bulls, all 30 cal, all Nosler

winmag

Great season.
Two 6x6's, One 5 point, One 4 point, & two Spikes, in 5 days with four 30-06's a 300WSM & a 300Win Mag all with 180gr Partitions, or 180gr Accubonds.

Unfortunately nothing was shot past 115yds:rolleyes: & mine was at 29 yds. (Miserable country to hunt! All claustrophobic, & cluttered!) but Loaded with Elk.

No complaints. No degree in rocket surgery needed. Nothing but good things to say, & a few bulls in the freezer for results:) image.jpg

Being jealous, envious, and a few other things I'm comin' over there and bringing ya some woofs!!!

That was a pretty sweet hunt even if ya'll were way under gunned.:D

Those seem to be abnormally short shots. Per chance were you guys wearing those new fangled anti static skivvies? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

Mine is the deformed spike. I almost had to shoot him in self defense:D.
I had a real nice 5x5 in my scope (4.5 power) for a full 30 seconds with no clear shot to the vitals. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye, & saw him walk to two trees & put his head down to feed. All this before a cow busted me. Then it was all over. Never even got a shot. All I had was his back 2/3 broadside to me, & trees in the way of his vitals, & head.
You wanna talk frustrated! I think I've developed a nervous twitch that won't go away:D

Absolutely the most rotten, overgrown, cluttered, dispicable hunting I've done since the last time I tried hunting in the valley. Main difference was no blackberry bushes & less rain. 3 of our guys filled their tags on trees. Haha. So many Elk, but sooooo much clutter! If the Elk were walking, your screwed. It's like trying to thread a needle thru branches & trees.
Needless to say my nerves were fried! I'm used to Sagebrush, Juniper (that'd be Cedar to you Texans) & big Pines, & being able to see. Definitely not my kind of terrain, but it was chalked full of Elk, and we all had a real good time. I broke my own personal record, & broke 2 pack frames in one day..... Ugh:D needless to say we all slept well, & had smiles on our faces.
The 2 camps above us got three big branch bulls. One of them was a 7x7 with really weak whale tails, but was still an awesome bull.

If I do decide to hunt this area again, I'm gonna have to buy a new toy in 45-70, or 458 Win or some big ol' punkin' lobber that launches Volkswagens for bullets at the speed of sloth! Probably a lever gun with iron sights. I dunno. Something that swings fast, & has about the same diameter bullet as it is long so "if" you hit branches you still get about the same amount of penetration as if you hit em long ways. So you don't get a keyhole from a tumbling long bullet, is what I'm getting at.
I wouldn't take a shot like that thru brush, IF I saw it there, before I shot. But MAN that's thick country! And probably why it holds so many Elk.

I've got a .375 H&H, built short and rugged just for that particular hunt. Call me if you go again, and you can use it. Express sights, 1x4 Leupold European in QD mounts. If your eyes don't do irons no more I'll throw one of these reflex sights on it. Breaking packs tells the story tough hunt.

Congats on the bulls. Which unit were you hunting. I live in the valley and almost hate to hunt it anymore. I have had about 15-20 head of elk under 20 yards and all I could see was an occasional leg or ear. So frustrating.

Great hunting trip!!! I would love to hunt Oregon but seem to have an excuse not to. Maybe this will change some day. Those Pacific elk are HUGE.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.