6.5x55mm Swede question

owlhoot

Does this ctg predate the 8x57mm Mauser?

If so, what is its parent cartridge?

Can this case be formed from some other common case?

If the 8x57 predates the 6.5x57, why did not the Swedes choose the 6.5x57?

It predates the 8x57 by 14 years according to wikipedia. developed in 1891. I don't think there is a parent cartridge, but brass is readily available. I have accidentally resized and fired a .308 cartridge because I wasn't paying attention when separating from the tumbler and saw no ill effects with a light load, but I am not sure I would recommend it. Wikipedia refers to is as a first generation cartridge which to me would suggest it has no parent.

On a side note thought I don't know who claims credit for designing the 6.5x55 but he must have been tight with God. Because that cartridge is God's work. a man couldn't make the little slowpoke 6.5 do the things it can. It is one of the finest hunting rounds ever designed. Ina modern action that will withstand greater pressures than the SAAMI spec it will do everything you can do with a .260 and in some cases has a slight edge. On the down side it is intended for long actions. But all of mine have been exceptionally accurate.

Some have tried to make 6.5 Swede cases out of 30-06 cases but it is not advisable to do so. The 06 case is slightly smaller in diameter and will swell out when fired but can also let loose. 6.5 Swede cases are readily available.

I agree whole heartily with cfvickers. One note though. If you have a long enough barrel even with the under 46,000 C.U.P loads you can get those bullets smoken. I have a number of the Swede Mauser rifles and with the 29 inch barrel on the M-96 with 120 gr bullets I get 3000 fps and with 140 gr I get 2800 fps with max loads of AA 4350 given in their manual and outstanding accuracy and they put the smack down on deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts