4 loads tested at 100 meter

Best group = 0,25"
The badest = 0,54"

n647301560_1993992_7663343.jpg

The average of 30 shots at 500 meter was 1 moa
Her is the best 10 shot group (0,8 moa)

n647301560_1971960_4622374.jpg

John-A

It's great to see the 6.5X55 still being used. I've been a fan of that round for over 50 years. My current Swede is a Remington 700 Classic which I use for deer and varmints.

I like my 6,5x55, very god accuracy whit most bullets and loads.

Those 4 loads whith diffrent bullets/charge hits whit in 1" in height from my zero whit 144 grs Sierra HPBT. That is perfect :)

John-A

Helio,
I have a Kimber 96 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser and in the process of trying Berger
140 Moly VLD's. Maybe today I will get to test fire some of them. To Start Off I changed the trigger to a Timney and it feels much better other than that the gun is orignal. Have shot some factory loads thru it to get some brass. I really like the recoil.
What I would Like to know is more about the Scenar bullets compared to Berger Bullets. My intentions are to use this rifle on mule deer, whitetails and coyotes. Can anyone give some help on this subject?
Some time in the future I may purchase a CZ or Remmington in this caliber. I have a Remmingto 700 in 7mag can this rifle be rebareled to 6.5X 55 with out
any changes to the bolt?

I've done quite a bit of testing with the scenars out of .308's into a lot of different mediums. They are a very tough bullet acting much more like a FMJ than your stereo-typical match bullet.

I have some 139's in .264 but I haven't had a chance to do anything besides punch paper with them.

I wouldn't recommend them for deer because there are better choices out there.

I have a 140gr A-max load that is a little faster and therefore pretty much mirrors the 139gr load out to 650 yards so far. I intend to use that on deer and keep the 139gr Lapua for shooting matches and paper.

Thanks Capdog,
The Laupua bullets are round nose and that contradicts my bullets thoughts over the past 30 yrs. The long ogive makes more since to me, But every bullet company has the best.
I have shot BT's for a very long time in my hunting rifles but got erge to try the Berger hunting this year.

I shot the 130gr Berger VLD last season out of my 260AI. Using it on one mule deer, it worked very well. Only problem I had as that I had to single feed. They shot the best when they were right up near the lands which made them too long to fit in my mag. We are going to give them a try in my shooting partners 6.5x55 Tikka. The mag is very long so I think he might be able to get them to run out of the mag.

Not to sure about the round nose Lapua, it could be the Mega which I thought was 155gr. Definately not a Scenar though, which is the Lapua match bullet and is definately a pointed boat-tail. They come in 108, 123 and 139gr versions.

Helio,
I have a Kimber 96 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser and in the process of trying Berger
140 Moly VLD's. Maybe today I will get to test fire some of them. To Start Off I changed the trigger to a Timney and it feels much better other than that the gun is orignal. Have shot some factory loads thru it to get some brass. I really like the recoil.
What I would Like to know is more about the Scenar bullets compared to Berger Bullets. My intentions are to use this rifle on mule deer, whitetails and coyotes. Can anyone give some help on this subject?
Some time in the future I may purchase a CZ or Remmington in this caliber. I have a Remmingto 700 in 7mag can this rifle be rebareled to 6.5X 55 with out
any changes to the bolt?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.5 has a .480" case -7mag has .532" ----so i don't think so but you could ask this question in the gunsmithing area and get a real answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.