6.5X47 Lapua for Hunting

I have a 6.5x47 Lapua built for me by R BROS rifles shooting the 130gr Bewrger's at 3000fps. While I have not taken game with it yet, poor deer season in southern IOWA, Quikload tells me that I have over 1200# @ 800 yards.
As accurate as this rifle is, I would not hesitate to take an elk at that distance if the wind conditions were not to severe.

Trublue I agree with you 100%. What load are you shooting. Mikecr, what I meant by "match" is that sure you can probably drive a 130 VLD 100ish fps faster in a 6.5x284 but really that's only about 7 less clicks at 1000 yards. Barrel life with 47L will be 2 times the bigger 6.5's which is great. I am not knocking the bigger 6.5's as my go to for years has been a 6.5-06AI and still is in many circumstances, but everyone that I have talked to that has any experience with the 6.5x47L loves it.

Myself , personally think they are too small for anything bigger than deer over 250 yards.

I personally would not shoot it at anything closer than 800 yards ,that's just my opinion ,and the way it sounds everone is intitled to there opinion. Weather u think its crazy or not.

Currently building a 6.5 x 47 Lapua for Antelope!!!
Very impressive cartridge. Comparing it to a 260 or 6.5-284 is like comparing a 280 Rem to a 7MM Mag. Not quite there, but still excellent.

Man- How has the 6.5x47 Lapua gotten by all the deer hunters? We just made a couple to punch paper and maybe do some culling (we thought) but after seeing the accuracy and energy we were able to attain, gonna use these exclusively for deer to medium/long range! Got a 6 lb 15 oz on Stiller with 24" Fluted Hart 1 in 9" with a brake (yeah I know but you can see bullets hit with the brake the recoil is Nil) and am getting 2810 fps with 140 berger hunting and averaging in the high .1s accuracy wise. 42 gr H4350 . Do the math and this has over 1000 ft-lbs to around 700 yards! Expect Great barrel life, feeding great, can't see any downside for a lightweight , light recoiling Tackdriver! gun)

have now tested the 6.5x47 to 350m using 140gn Amax on fallow deer, terminal performance is so far indistinguishable from a 270, rifle is a full custom model 7 with Leupold MK4 4-15x50LR/T ir, at 6&3/4 pound all up it's a dream to carry and shoots sub 1/2 MOA off a Harris. I think it might be the ultimate stalking rifle for me. The rifle/cartridge combination has now racked up 17 fallow deer, all one shot kills.

I have a 6.5x47 Lapua built for me by R BROS rifles shooting the 130gr Bewrger's at 3000fps. While I have not taken game with it yet, poor deer season in southern IOWA, Quikload tells me that I have over 1200# @ 800 yards.
As accurate as this rifle is, I would not hesitate to take an elk at that distance if the wind conditions were not to severe.

Takes 800 ft #'s to break an elk shoulder bone is what goodgrouper told me.
I know a lot of folks say 1500 to 1800 fo elk but a man that is confident with his equipment 1200 #'s is more than enough
I personally don't own a 6.5 47 but I have a good friend that has built quite a few. I went with him on a load development session I'm impressed the one I shot was a tack driver.

Guys we have done around 10 different customs in 6.5x47 Lapua this year in mostly lighter weight hunting configurations and All have been capable of shooting 1/4" groups. We have used 1 in 9 twist Hart and Krieger barrels and have averaged around 2850 in 24" barrels and 2900 to 2950 in 26" barrels with 140 Berger VLD Hunting bullets. All shot H4350 at 41.0-41.5 gr and most shot Vit N 550 at 41.0-41.5 gr. no pressure signs. The Vit is usually 50+ fps faster than the Hog, but H is a little more accurate across all guns. I do Have a personal hunting rifle that has a 26" Hart 1 in 9 that is shooting 2982 fps and in the very low.2's using 41.5 gr N550, Lapua case, cci 450 mag. We love this cartridge for accuracy, lack of recoil, barrel life, and feel it is an ideal whitetail rifle for 600 yards and in.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.