6.5x47 Lapua for Ext. Long Range Shooting

STACATS

I am planning to buy a custom 6.5x47 Lapua rifle for Extreme Long Range Shooting (1 000 yards +) with a Hensoldt scope. Am I on the right track or off ?

Is it better to buy a 338 Lapua Mag. ?

Regards Claude
:)

Excellent, thank you for your answer.

Do you think a muzzebreak would be good or it is an overkill ?

What is the maximum range of such a caliber 1 000 yards, 1 500 yards ?

Thank you again.

Maximum range is when the cant of your scope base has the barrel obstructing your view. Find out when your bullet goes through about 1300 fps and set up some gongs at that range and a bit further to see how they do when going subsonic. The drag curve may change a bit and cause you to require more drop adjustments past that range but otherwise your good to go. I shoot the 168 Berger hybrid in my .308 and it goes subsonic just fine. I have had it out just shy of 1200 yards. The drop is consistent but the wind sure makes it interesting.

Thank you very much.

But I am still not sure if I am going to buy an exotic caliber like the 47 Lapua. I am considering the REM 260 instead.

And I saw that major companies are going into REM260 and rifles are available. I am not a big reloader even if I have the Redding UltraMag with competition dies. I am lazy and more of a cocktail shooter than a sniper.

I would then recommend going .308 for a factory rifle and factory loads. You would have a lot more options and availability as well as an action to build on later when the addiction really takes hold. Just get a Remington to keep your future options wide open

Exactly, I bought 3 of them (308W) I like them a lot. BUT we have a group who wants to show that shooting long range is interesting and very technical (1 000 yards +)

I am happy I bought the 308W and before buying another caliber these are the questions I am asking myself since I am not an expert reloader. I will stick to my good Remington 700 in 308W and my two M14 springfield (I like that design)

I am looking at a Savage 110BA in 338 Lapua Mag, I do not know if that rifle is good because usually there is nothing cheap in 338LM as someone said here in the forum.

I am going to recommend you also look at a 6br. Use a 1:8 tw barrel with 105 gr amaxes ahead of 30 grains of Varget and have fun. Switch barrel your Rem 308 if you would like. You don't have the recoil, much less powder equals more sustained shooting and extremely accurate - that is the 6br. If you were into more reloading I would suggest an improved version. Good luck!

1kstr

Thank you very much.

But I am still not sure if I am going to buy an exotic caliber like the 47 Lapua. I am considering the REM 260 instead.

The 260 will do better at longer ranges, the 6.5x55 better still, and the 6.5-284 even some more.
I have shot at 1000 to 1500m with the 6.5x55 and the 6.5-284, alongside 6.5x47s and 260s, and the lighter bullets that tend to be used by the two smaller calibres tend to lessen the performance past 1k. On sevareal occasions we could not even spot the 123grainers (some hit, some were "lost in space"), while we were hammering the steel targets at 970 and 985m with 139grain bullets out of 6.5x55s

On the occasions where i have shot the 6.5x55 and 9g bullets against 6.5x47s or 6.5x55s with 8 og 8.4g bullets at 1000 or >1000m, they did not stand one chance. The repeatability of a 9g Scenar travelling at 900m/s simply cannot be matched by a 8g one at 850...
Step up to 6.5-284 or 6.5x65RWS and you are effective at 1250m, where even the 6.5x55 is somewhat challenged.

The difference between 1000yards and 1000m is more or less te edge where the differences really come out. What i say is for normal varying wind conditions, in a calm even the 308 will be reliable and accurate past 1200m, if you can dial the elevation.

So to sum it up; the 6.5x47 is a fine caliber <1000, but is severely challenged past, and would not be the caliber of choice in my world. Most 6.5mm bullets need serious "oomph" to work at 1k, and unless one has a great supply of cheap 6.5mm bullets (as we do here in Norway), one would be advised to look at something 7mm. The 284win comes to mind as a first, but most anything 7mm will be more effective past 1k than 6.5x47.
Personally i prefer my 7mm WSM over the 6.5x55 as soon as we start seeing 4digit range, or before. The clang in the steel from a 180gr VLD is also very impressive compared to the ding from the 6.5x55 - it leaves no question, where 3 spotters might be arguing if one had hit with a 6.5x47 or not...

K

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.