6.5x284?

kc

My kid Brother has bougth a Remington 700 in 3006 and wishes to change the calibre to
A 6.5X285.. He asked me to find out how in the Barrel life?
Now mind you last year we threw together a .260 that shoots like a house a fire.
But I think you know temptation..this is for geting out with an m24 Barrel no taper 1 inch.

My kid Brother has bougth a Remington 700 in 3006 and wishes to change the calibre to
A 6.5X285.. He asked me to find out how in the Barrel life?
Now mind you last year we threw together a .260 that shoots like a house a fire.
But I think you know temptation..this is for geting out with an m24 Barrel no taper 1 inch.

with a 17ph4 barrel (or MR-10) you might see 850 rounds thru it, and the 416 SS barrels often are done in less than 600 rounds. He has a 30-06 length action, and a 6.5-06 would be far better. A .280 would also be worth the look see
gary

My last 6.5-284 barrel (Douglas) was toast after 1100 rounds. Take a look at the 6.5x55 Swede or .260 Rem.

I'm very familiar with the 6.5 - 284. I've built just for myself 4 of them. I've tried different barrel mfg's. What you'll see is about 800-1000 rounds before accuracy and the throat gets burned out. The barrel itself doesn't wear out just the throat. If you get a contour with enough material at the breech end after the throat is burned out you can set the barrel back about 1"-2" , re-chamber and you'll see about 600-800 more rounds. Should last for several years of use unless he's doing a ton of shooting per year. My 1st 6.5 - .284 was used strictly for long range woodchucks. It took me 4 years to get 300 rounds down the barrel. At that rate the barrel would last about 12 years before it needed set back.

This is what concerned me, he got his hands on a nice .3006 And I reminded him he has the .260 and he never has the time to go shoot. He drives a semi all over Texas. and he is gone at times for weeks. I told hime to just let this rifle alone, keep it a .3006.

thanks guys I am sure he might think about it.

A 6.5x284 isn't really all that hot. Velocity usually doesn't run all that high unless you shoot light bullets. If he doesn't shoot all that much a 6.5x284 barrel should last a very long time. I don't shoot paper that much if I can help it so even if life was only 800-1200 critters is a lot of enjoyment. I'm waiting on 2- 6.5 barrels. At least one of them is going to be a 6.5-284.

For competition mine last about 1100 rounds BUT for a sporter the round count will be higher plus in competition I am shooting faster and abusing the throat. Great round and I have a bore scope and it does not lie ever....

you know for 99% of the folks out there a .257Ackley necked up to 6.5mm would get the job done effortlessly! It should push a 140 grain bullet to about 2850 fps, and a loaded round should easilly work in a 30-06 length magazine. Case can be formed by necking up 6mm Remington brass to 6.5mm, and fire forming.
gary

Gary your talking about a bolt of lightning from a Remington action...good Idea.
Nope! He's talking about a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser in a different case! Has absolutely no practical advantage over the 6.5x55. It's just another version of the 6.5x57 Mauser, another 100+ year old round.

Gary your talking about a bolt of lightning from a Remington action...good Idea.

Ackley said more than once that the 57mm Mauser case in an improved form was about as near perfect as it got. And all we gotta do is take a good look at the specs for that improved case out to .338 (who knows maybe even bigger). Each caliber seems to work better than it's ever supposed to be able to. In that long action 700 you'd never tax the action strength much at all, and the loaded rounds work well in the magazine length. I've been saying for over twenty years now that the perfect deer rifle was a plain jane .257 Roberts, and this is proven out every fall of the year
gary

Nope! He's talking about a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser in a different case! Has absolutely no practical advantage over the 6.5x55. It's just another version of the 6.5x57 Mauser, another 100+ year old round.

I think we're talking apples & oranges. The 57mm case is slightly longer at the shoulder, and the neck is close enough to be the same. The shoulder on the Ackley is much straiter with less taper that the 6.5x55. Ackley dosn't list any data on the 6.5x57AI, but does list it for the Apex which is a very similar cartridge. He got 2880fps with 53.0 grains of H450. That's roughly 200fps faster than the max loads with the same bullet in the 6.5x55. But of course you could improve the 6.5x55 as well. I suspect with some of the newer powders the difference would be closer to 275fps in a 26" barrel.
gary

The OP stated is brother is "on the road for weeks at a time" (and it's his rifle!). Doesn't sound like he has much extra time to neck up cases, fire form 'um, and work up a load. The original question was about the 6.5x.284. Now, here we are at the .6.5x.257 Roberts Improved? KC, any of those mentioned, the 6.5x284, 6.5/06, 6.5x55 will work well on a 700LA, as would the 6.5x57. I just picked up my Hogdon manuel (the first one I grabbed) and flipped to the 6.5x55,,,,, 2857 w/a top load of RL-22, no practical difference. The skill of the driver (the shooter) would have more bearing than a few fps ever will!

The OP stated is brother is "on the road for weeks at a time" (and it's his rifle!). Doesn't sound like he has much extra time to neck up cases, fire form 'um, and work up a load. The original question was about the 6.5x.284. Now, here we are at the .6.5x.257 Roberts Improved? KC, any of those mentioned, the 6.5x284, 6.5/06, 6.5x55 will work well on a 700LA. I just picked up my Hogdon manuel and flipped to the 6.5x55,,,,, 2857 w/a top load of RL-22, no practical difference. The skill of the driver (the shooter) would have more bearing than a few fps ever will!

Good Point!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.