6.5x284 or 6.5x06?

Wachsmann

Question 1.
I am thinking over the next year about having a 6.5X284 or a 6.5X06 built. Would the Savage Arms Action, Savage Sporter Long Action Magnum Bolt Face with Magazine Box Steel Blue (copied stright from Midway usa) work for this?
Question 2.
I already have a mauser 98 action and thought about using this action for the 6.5x06 but on another form I had read that the longer high BC 140grain bulletts has some issues with the magizine. They were saying the magizine is to short. Would anyone know if the savage action is any longer?
Question 3.
I lean to the 6.5X06 a little more due to the fact that the O6 casing seems to be alot more easier to come by. I been reading alot and it apears that both of theses wildcats are very equal. Any thoughts? I will mainly use the gun for hunting and try to do some mid-long range shots. Looking about the 600 to 700yds range. Deer/antelope...

You could rebarrel the mauser to the 6.5x284 as they have the same boltface. Since the '06 is longer (2.494" vs. 2.170"), the magazine should work well for long bullets in the 6.5x284.

AJ

I'd agree on the 6.5-284 recommendation. I shoot one from a long action Remington and bullet seating is never an issue.

go with the 6.5x284 then you can buy lapua brass and you will have little if any brass prep. the 06 version would require some more prep work.

Thanks for the input. Would the savage be a better action to enhance later or for what I am looking at will the mauser work fine? Probablly a deer antelope gun running the 140 berger. Yardage will be in the 500 to 600 and 800 at max. My gun has seen alot of use. I have personally put 1000+ rounds through this 30-06. I bought the thing when I was 13 for my first deer rifle at a pawn shop. Lots of savings working at a chicken farms for a not so little kid. :D Boxes of shell were alot cheaper back in the 80's so its been used and abused alot. I will admit I am looking at the lower end of the dollar game but if I decide to I could buy a higher dollar action or should I keep what I have and spend the money in gunsmithing?
Thanks...

The 6.5x284 trumps just about every medium bore caliber made. Getting brass is not an issue. I use Norma. I would use Lapua just as quick. Call JB at Accuflite. He sells Norma 6.5x284 for $0.78 per piece.

I'd choose a 260 AI before the 6.5-06. With the right smith, you will not have feeding issues.

I will have two 6.5x284s by December to play with.

VV N160, 165,
H4350, 4831SC
IMR4350
and Re22 are the powders of choice for me.

Thanks for the input. Would the savage be a better action to enhance later or for what I am looking at will the mauser work fine? Probablly a deer antelope gun running the 140 berger. Yardage will be in the 500 to 600 and 800 at max. My gun has seen alot of use. I have personally put 1000+ rounds through this 30-06. I bought the thing when I was 13 for my first deer rifle at a pawn shop. Lots of savings working at a chicken farms for a not so little kid. :D Boxes of shell were alot cheaper back in the 80's so its been used and abused alot. I will admit I am looking at the lower end of the dollar game but if I decide to I could buy a higher dollar action or should I keep what I have and spend the money in gunsmithing?
Thanks...

I'd take my old trusty/loved Mauser and hand it to a good smith. I'd have him put on a great barrel in 6.5x284 and never look back. 1000 rounds through that action should just make it 'nice and broke in'.

AJ

I agree with AJ, and use your existing action, if not just for sentimental reasons alone.

I own a 6.5-284 and have built more than I can recall. Just a kick *** all around great performing cartridge. I've also been around 1K competitive shooters for a long time, over 20 years and this round has made quite a presence there. (it's where it came from actually)

Barrel life is about 1200 rounds max in a competitive gun, so don't expect to be able to shoot volumes of this stuff without consequence. It's a hot rod cartridge and it raises hell on the throat because of it.

Just the price you pay.

Hunting and/or target:

Stick a 1-8 twist barrel about 26-28 inches long and give it hell. A great load for deer is the Hornady 140 grain SST w/ 55 grains of 4831SC, a Federal GM210 all in a Lapua case. Set it up to float about .005" off the lands.

Varmint:

Go 1-10 and shoot the lighter stuff at warp speed.

Good luck.

The 6.5-284 seems so popular it's a wonder the rifle manufacturers dont start chambering for it and producing factory ammo too. It seems better than a lot of the dumb new calibres they have come out with recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts