6.5x284 or 28 Nosler

Mr.Moa

I know both of these rounds aren't really even in the same category but hear me out. Ive been working with a savage lrh in a 300 WSM for while now and after never reaching the accuracy I want, Im ready to move on. Originally I started out shooting factory ammo to break in the barrel and build up a little brass and never really got anything better than 1.5 moa on a cold barrel. I was hoping for better after hearing pretty good things about the lrh but wasn't too discouraged because I knew I would be reloading for it. After a bunch of factory ammo and meticulously reloading ammo down to one pellet of powder bumping the scale up to the charge I was looking for I still never got anything better than 1.25 moa off a cold bore at 100 yards. Ive check my screw ive sanded the stock down in an area I was getting contact ive shot it clean and fouled and shot it with and without the break with no luck. Im too the point im ready to restart and get into a different gun. It would shoot about .75 moa on a warm barrel but for any hunting purposes I need to know what that cold bore shot is going to do. My goal is a long range gun I can hunt with but over some discussions with a buddy who is more of a long range target guy than me we have conflicting views of what caliber I should get. I personally would like to go a little on the lighter side, I feel like I would be more comfortable shooting it, more likely to spend time behind the gun and overall a little more confident. Living in Arkansas I don't feel like I need just a huge round, 95% of my shooting will be paper or steel, and the rest will be deer around here. That being said ive been known to take a few trips outside the state to hunt and my buddy (who swears by a 6.5 creedmore for the same reasons I would like to shoot something on the lighter side) knows that and claims I should get into a bigger caliber if I plan to take a long shot on say an elk. In that case I know hes right but practicality wise want to say I should go with 6.5x284 and in the event I need to use it so just be a little under powered . Either way the use of the gun for hunting is probably going to be small seeing that my in state gun hunting is normally done with a 270 that will shoot .75 moa or a 30-06 that will run .4 moa and my out of state hunting is generally with a bow considering its easier to by an over the counter tag for archery. None the less I still want to get into a 6.5 mm or 7mm bullet for ballistics reasons and would like to work around that. Ive been looking hard into the 6.5x284 for it not being to big but ive still seen it bringing down elk size game out to 800-900 yards in a few instances eventhough I would consider it only adequate for about 500ish yards on that size of game. And then my buddy had to make me second guess myself and think I need to go bigger, nothing specific besides then mention of a 338 lapua which im not really considering but its got me thinking so im kinda playing with the idea of a 28 nosler any thoughts on which route I should go?

Ok...
Have you tried any IMR or H4350 with a decent tangent ogive bullet ( Sierra Match King, Berger Classis Hunter, or Nosler Ballistic Tip) ????
What's the round count on your barrel ??

Both of my 300WSM barrels love 168gr Classic Hunters, the Savage factory barrel likes H4350 and 215M.
The Mcgowan barrel likes IMR4350 and 210M primers.

Go with the 6.5x284. I have been with mine for over seven years with great success. I've shot dozens of animals from 100 yards to 1200 yards. IMO, the 6.5x284 is well proven, providing the perfect balance of bench rest grade accuracy, low recoil, and very effective killing power.

You are right they are different animals.. definately a apples and oranges thing.
I built a 6.5x284 and it shoots great has easy shoot able recoil without a break. No problem shooting 50 rounds prone without a soar shoulder the next day.

Do you want a strictly hunting gun or do you want something you can shoot quite a bit and have fun?

That's the key thing...
I have no doubt that a 6.5x284 can take an elk out to 800 . Shot placement with anything. 28 nosler can reach 1000 or better but you gotta know your gun very well for that to happen...

For your hand loads, if you are using "magnum" large rifle primers, I recommend switching to regular large rifle primers.

You didn't say what bullets you tried or what powders. I struggled as well until I switched to regular primers. Then it all came together.

however

If you have your heart set on changing. 6.5x284. You'll enjoy it more.

Go with the 6.5 SAUM. Factory brass can be had and you'll be shooting 140 VLDs at 3100 fps with nothing more than a new barrel. Dig into the data on that cartridge and I think you'll be going that route. If you lived in a western state I'd say go with the 28 Nosler, but hey for just another $300 you can have a new 300 WSM barrel for those trips if you feel the need. I do love savages for their simplicity of barrel swaps, sounds like you got one on the lower end of their accuracy spectrum.

Have you thought about just ordering a new pre-fit from a quality maker like Pac-Nor, CBI or McGowan? You can usually pick up a good barrel for $300-400, which is a lot cheaper than a whole new gun.

I have both cartridges you are considering. The 28 Nosler will be easier on your shoulder than your current 300 WSM also. I'm burning 35 grains more powder in my 28 than in my 6.5. 28 Nosler brass is also double the price of 6.5x284 Lapua brass.

From your description of how you will use it, I would say go with the 6.5x284. It will be a LOT easier on your shoulder. Accuracy and performance on game is great. The 28 Nosler will be more gun than you need for antelope but will work fine for deer and elk. Your wallet will definately like the 6.5x284 better, especially if you are punching paper a lot.

You'd be better served with a tight necked chamber in plain jane 7 mm rem mag, it'll do anything the other two will do with far less agrivation ! There's nothing H-4350 can't cure...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts