6.5x284 Norma vs Win ?

MN Hunter

All

I have decided on the 6.5x284 caliber for my next build. I have found that there are two designations for this caliber - Norma and Winchester. I have found very little information on what the differences is between these two designations. Are they the same? Interchangable? If different is one better than the other?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

All

I have decided on the 6.5x284 caliber for my next build. I have found that there are two designations for this caliber - Norma and Winchester. I have found very little information on what the differences is between these two designations. Are they the same? Interchangable? If different is one better than the other?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I always thought that the 6.5x.284 Norma was made by necking down the .284 winchester case. Not sure though

I called the people at Nosler. They load for the 6.5x284 Norma. They told me the Norma and Win are different - basically the Norma throat is longer to handle the longer 140 grain target/match bullets.

I have accsess to all kind of tools I worked in a Tool and Die company, I have a friend who works there and we built a 6.5x284 with there equipment,(Norma) and its a fantastic shooter and with out question the best Deer Rifle I have ever shot. 5 shot at 100 in under 1/2@100. MicMillan A5 STOCK ON A .3006 Remington action. and a nightforce scope. If the Deer is at 500 yards its dead.

There is a difference. MN hunter had part of the equation right.

The Win usually has a shorter throat cut to accommodate a short action and shorter bullets.

The Norma has a longer throat to accept the longer bullets and a long action.

This is how I know, I ordered a 6.5X284 norma to shoot 140 bergers out of a long action. When it cam back it, the bullets had to be seated so far in I called back telling them something was wrong. They cut a Win chamber instead of a Norma. Throat difference was, WIN= .073, Norma=.187.

Additionally, A Match cut min spec Win chamber will not accept Norma brass. Norma is a little bigger in the web area.

If your planning on the long bullets, definitely build off a long action in less it's a single shot.

Willys

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.