6.5x284 dies

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Gray R, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Gray R

Gray R Well-Known Member

I'm new to this whole forum process so forgive me if I go about it wrong or if this topic has been beat to death and I didn't see it but I'm looking for a set of 6.5x284 Norma dies any can't find any. Anywhere. I was wondering if I should adjust my aim and go a different road or if anyone knew where to get any. Thanks in advance

2. Drift141

Drift141 Well-Known Member

Check out Forster. I bought the micro seater, neck, and full length dies awhile back. I haven't used them yet. Waiting for Forster single stage press to come and rifle to be done.

3. 65WSM

65WSM Well-Known Member

The seating die is a Wilson made with your reamer.

You will want bushing dies. I use .293 to .296 bushings. Again I use the Wilson Bushing size dies the most. The Forsters are great. I also have Redding Full Length bushing dies. Lapua Brass is great and its annealed when you get it.

Check the seating stem of your die to see where on the bullet it is touching. Most threaded dies are not set up for VLD bullets and push from the nose. This is not the best for concentricity.

Throw away the size die stem button. I use a Sinclair expander die and mandrel for cases I drop and dent the neck.

4. pills

pills Well-Known Member

I have the foresters also...I think I got them at midway or brownells

5. Gray R

Gray R Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm sure they're great but I'm not a competition guy I'm just a hunter and a recreational shooter so the super high end stuff is way better than I need it to be. And I've checked everywhere I know of an they seem to be out of stock. Thank ya though

6. feelinducky

feelinducky Well-Known Member

There is a group buy for Redding equipment over at the snipers hide. You will get a considerable discount. Check it out.

7. Drift141

Drift141 Well-Known Member

I take that back. The Forster dies I bought were returned as they were stamped 6.5x284 win. I replaced them with Redding as they have Norma stamped on them. I apologize for my impulse post.

8. 65WSM

65WSM Well-Known Member

Wilson seating die blanks are $40. How are you going to beat that?

9. pills

pills Well-Known Member

I have the forester dies, the box just says 6.5x264. No designation weather win or norma. the seater is stamped norma. I have seen it tagged both ways in different places but have seen nothing to indicate that there is any difference. Am I missing something here?? My cooper is simple stamped 6.5x284.

10. Gray R

Gray R Well-Known Member

I may be wrong but it's my understanding that the Norma chamber has a longer throat for the vlds

11. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

12. pills

pills Well-Known Member

Do both fl dies resize to the same dimensions?

13. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

If you are using dies from the same manufacturer, they should resize to the same dimensions. There are no differences in case dimensions between the Winchester and Norma versions of the 6.5-284.

The only difference is in COAL: 2.8" (Win), 3.310" (Norma).

14. 65WSM

65WSM Well-Known Member

Buy Bushing dies. Wilson, Forster and Redding. How do you size for your neck and your chamber without a selection of bushings. The necks will change over time as you reload them. I have cases with a dozen full pressure firings that are going strong but the necks seem to be getting thinner. All have been annealed once by me. I use Lapua brass.