6.5X284 brass

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by freebird63, Aug 17, 2013.

1. freebird63

freebird63 Well-Known Member

I see that hornady makes a 6.5X284 winchester brass and lapua makes a 6.5X284 norma brass. Is there any differences between the 2, well other then lapua brass being better quality and more $$

2. Time Killer

Time Killer Well-Known Member

I cant really answer your question, but I use the Lapua Norma brass. It wears well. Im also using the Redding Norma dies. Works well for me.

3. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I tried the Hornady brass a couple of years ago and had problems chambering it. I heard of others expeienceing the same issue. I never had problems with Lapua, Norma, or Nosler brass in 6.5x284. I never bothered with the Hornady since then soI don't know if they corrected the problem.

4. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

Yes there can be differences.

From what I gather,
    Winchester never made a 6.5x284, reloaders made it.
    Being a wildcat, it had many versions with different shoulder angles and clearances/reamers.

~2001 Norma officially introduced it with a 35deg shoulder and it was accepted into SAAMI.

Unless holding the reamer and with a plan to form brass(like so many have), I would steer clear of a 6.5x284Win, and head for the official 6.5x284Norma. And I would use Norma or Lapua brass, to remove forming efforts (if satisfied with the Norma design).

I'm sure others here know a lot more about this cartridge, as I've never had one.