Votes: 0 0.0%
  • why yes

• why no

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J E,
What kind of range do you think the 6.8 spec is good for on medium size game?

I would think that it would be good on deer size game out to 500 yards.
With good hits according to the ballistics tables.

I have not tested it that far but people with the Grendel say it will kill beyond that distance and with the right loads the 6.8 has an edge in the energy department.

I use mine for hogs and have had no problems at 3 to 400 yards and hogs are a lot harder to drop than deer.

J E CUSTOM

J E,
What kind of range do you think the 6.8 spec is good for on medium size game?
I've killed hogs and deer out to about 400yds with my mini 14 in 6.8spc and coyotes a good bit further shooting the 110gr Accubond factory ammo.

The 6.5x47 shoots flatter and retains energy a bit better than the 6.8 but both will get the job done.

If you go to the .260 Rem in an accurate platform 600yds on deer is very reasonable but you are stretching it for big hogs at that range. So far for me the Peregrine VRG4 and VLR's have been incredibly reliable even on hogs in the 400lbs range with mine.

The Grendel is a great cartridge but does have limitations. For deer I'd be completely comfortable to 5 or 600yds with a 123sst type bullet. Elk maybe 400. Have killed two deer with my Grendel. A wt doe and a mulie buck, they were only 100ish yds but I was impressed with the damage.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.