6.5mm-284 Savage

tonganjord

I recently just bought a savage 6.5mm-284. I was trying to find the lands for a berger 140 vld, but when i put the casing with the loose bullet in the action and closed the bolt then pulled it out the bullet didn't move in at all. I know that the brass was loose enough for the bullet to move in and still tight enough so it would grab in the riflings and pull back out. Any pointers so I can figure out a good bullet length?

Are you using a split case or slightly oversized case so the bullet can be seated way out so as you close the bolt it jams into the lands and reseats the bullet? I just used my horndy case measuring gauage with the special made 6.5 case and berger bullet to measure this out. On my rifle COAL is 3.17 inches jamed into the lands. It is a 116 stainless flutted 24 inch barrel model. Dont know the exact model letters but this is my gun. I load mine at 3.125 which is giving me a .5 inch group at 100yrds and shoots very consistant at this length. It also still works in the mag. Hope this helps.gun)

The specifics about my gun and brass are; i bought lapua brass and my rifle is the savage model 111 long range hunter with a 26 inch barrel.

I have the exact same gun. Shooting Retumbo powder and 140 VLD hunting bergers in lapua brass. So far I haven't got it to shoot the way I want, but I haven't shot it too much yet. Let me know if you get her shooting good.

Mine is 3.192" to the lands(not jammed) with a Berger 140Hunting VLD and Lapua Brass. My best accuracy's at .072" off the lands, 3.12" COAL. I have found that the Hornady Lock and Load sweating depth tool gives very precise and consistent results for bullet seating depth. 56-58 gr of Retumbo, Fed215's, and will have a good starting point for an accurate load at 2950-3000 FPS.

I recently just bought a savage 6.5mm-284. I was trying to find the lands for a berger 140 vld, but when i put the casing with the loose bullet in the action and closed the bolt then pulled it out the bullet didn't move in at all. I know that the brass was loose enough for the bullet to move in and still tight enough so it would grab in the riflings and pull back out. Any pointers so I can figure out a good bullet length?
you need to ding the mouth of the case slightly so the bullet slips with just enough force to hold it in place when you extract
the case or buy an oal gage...

How far is the bullet seated in the neck of the case? If the bullet is just barely seated in the neck of the case and still not pushing the bullet into the case while closing the bolt then you have very long throat. Which is possible, but doubtful.

If you are going to use this method of finding OAL then make sure the case neck is sized, not open/loose, and try again. My guess, the bullet is being pulled back out of the case neck when you extract the cartridge.

Savage uses the 6.5x284Norma match chamber specs, I have a Savage and I sold a custom remington and the throats were only a couple thousandths different the oal I use in my Savage is 2.498" base to ogive which is a .010" jam, total lenght varies quite a bit from lot to lot with berger vlds, mine has been 3.154-3.193" for a .010" jam. Currently I run .010" in, 59.5grns of the correct burn rate Retumbo(some was like H1000) lapua brass, Fed215Ms, it shoots 3155fps avg, 12fps ES and groups <.2", but it is a 30" barreled f class, don't expect that from a 24" pipe. The 111lrh has a 24" barrel not 26", 2950fps is a good node with the 24"/retumbo setup.

"The 111lrh has a 24" barrel not 26", 2950fps is a good node with the 24"/retumbo setup. "

Backwoods I somewhat suspected this because the muzzle break looks like it is about 1.5 to 2 inches long. When I asked at cabelas the gun guy said manfatures measure from the end of the barrel to the bolt face which will give you 26 inches but every long range hunter i have seen has the same muzzle break. Has anyone found one that does not? So for me I bought the stainless 116 with the 24 inch barrel knowing I probablly would not make no where near the same speed. But when the barrel wears out she getting a 28 inch put on her. For as the gun as it sets I love mine.

The 111lrh has been advertised as a 26" barrel before but they measure from the chamber vent to the tip so with the break they are 26". The only savage that came with a true 26" that I know of off hand was a special run of 112 varmint series, BVSS I think. The 110, 111, and 116 are all 24", but there isn't a huge velocity jump between 24 and 26, now 24 to 30" is about 175fps with a given load, the slower the powder the more gain. Going from my 26 to my 30 with idetical loads picked me up 110fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts