6.5mm 140 SST for Elk???

Bullseye

Has anyone here used the 6.5 140 SST on Elk? I've done some searches here and found a few posts about deer size game.

I'm thinking about using my .264 WM this year. It'll have a 28" Broughton 5c barrel. I'm aware of the 2 bonded 6.5's (swift and nosler) which are both 130 grainers. I would prefer a 140 grain pill. I like the idea of the SST because of its high BC and assume its performance at long range would be decent... but with the chance of a short range shot I'm curious how it will hold up. Any real world examples?

Would not use the SST on elk. It is very much like a Nosler BT and might not penetrate deep enough. Also, high velocity on a short shot could blow the bullet. Personally, I would look at Barnes TSX or XLC in 140 gr. You can get 3,000-3,100 out of it and know that it will stay together and penetrate.

I have heard good things about the SST's on deer sized game. I don't know about elk. I have used a Sierra 140gr SP for elk in the past and it worked well. I love my 6.5mm BUT I treat a shot on elk with the 6.5mm bullet just like a archery shot. I try for a spot behind the shoulder and avoid heavy bone. This is contrary to my deer which I try to break some heavy bone. I admit my elk experience is limited. But I prefer a 7mm or .30 cal bullet for elk.
One man's opinion.
Dave

I shot a large mule deer with an SST out of my 300WM at very short range a few years ago. The bullet hit the shoulder blade. Bottom line was, the bullet did not hold up, and made a terrible mess that took me two more shots and a couple miles to clean-up. I WOULD NOT even consider using them on elk...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for the input. I might just drop down to 130grs and go with the accubond or scirocco II.

Perhaps I'll be able to get the 140 XLC's to shoot well... or just go with a trusty partition or a-frame.

Any better ideas in the 264 win mag for elk???

Bullseye, I would go with the A-Frame as opposed to the Partition. I've had several 140 gr 7mm Partitions blow on deer. I'm not sure if you would fare any better. Partitions work better on the heavy side, but are not as tough on the lighter weights. Just my experience. Would still try Barnes first.:(

140 NP's work wonderfull on elk out of the 264. I've yet to recover one including an elk taken at 400 yards through the opposite shoulder. It will dump them hard.

The 130 Swift also works very well and will be my bullet of choice out of my 264 this year. Hard to beat a .571 BC bullet at 3,260.

No I do not. Got a Nosler cap though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I feel they are good products. In this case in point I believe the Nosler partition or the Accubond will hold up better than the SST. You can add the TSX in the mix although I am still up in the air as far as their expansion capabilities go. If range is not too long the Northforks / Swift A-frames are also a superior bullet.

Here you go more choices! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree 100%. I have shot game with both SST and Accubonds at high velocity (such as for LRH) and the accubonds win hands down. The SSTs may be OK at extreme ranges where the velocity is way down but who knows where your shot will come?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.