6.5 x 55 Pet loads ...Tikka Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Adk X, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Adk X

Adk X New Member

I am looking for some Pet loads for my 6.5 Swede. My rifle has a strong action ( New Tikka ) so I don't necesarily need loads than are not up to the full potential of the 6.5 cartridge.I have a couple boxes of 130 Gr Barnes tsx bullets that I would like to use,but would like info on pet loads using 140 gr bullets also.The loads would be used on larger Whitetails up here in the Adirondacks....Any feedback would be greatly apprieciated ...Thank You.

2. aggie99

aggie99 Well-Known Member

3. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

140g Berger VLD, 48.2g H4831, Lapua Brass, Federal LR primer, COAL 3.020"

Never chronoed. Drops say it's doing 2750ish. Verified shoots .5 MOA to 600 yards. Barrel is a 26" Shilen 1:9 twist, #4 profile. Load density is in the high 90's.

As always, work up carefully to establish the pressure tolerance of your rifle!

I would also recommend that you do your own seating depth testing (see Berger's website for instructions) to establish the seating depth that your rifle likes.

4. Adk X

Adk X New Member

5. Adk X

Adk X New Member

Is the Berger 140 VLD a target bullet more-so than a hunting bullet ?

6. benchracer

benchracer Well-Known Member

That depends upon who you talk to and what your personal philosophy is regarding the sort of terminal performance you are after.

I have not yet shot live game with any of my 6.5's. When I do, I intend to use Berger Hunting VLD's or Hornady AMAX's with my Swede. I don't believe that the Swede develops enough velocity to make tougher bullets necessary. I look forward to testing that theory in the field when my circustances permit.

For my faster 6.5's, I am developing shorter ranged loads with 140g Partitions and long range loads using AMAX's.

7. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

If it's a tikka you really don't have to much work cut out for ya. They shoot with just about everything you shove in 'em usually. From those I've talked to that have run the swede, they like powders that are a bit slow for the capacity so I'd go with slow enough powder to keep her cases full.

8. aggie99

aggie99 Well-Known Member

Both powders have done very well in my rifle with 140gr Bergers and Hornady SST's. I have not tried any 130gr bullets.

9. Adk X

Adk X New Member

Thanks alot ..let me know how you make out.