6.5 x 300 weatherby jump

The load is still too hot. Drop the powder charge 1.0 grain and repeat using 3 rounds. Is the group size acceptable?
I just shot 3 more rounds with the load dropped down 1 grain to 82. Bolt still sticky. Hard to tell, but it seemed to be a little less sticky. When I got back to the house I measured the fired cases. They were .005, .008, .015 longer than spec. The necks were about .003 wider in diameter than specs. Not sure if this means anything but thought it would make sense to check.

Since the 6.5 x 300 Weatherby is an overbore load, the data in the loading manuals should be followed. Hodgdon is the only manual that I know of that publishes data for your cartridge. Call them and discuss your problem with them.j

It sounds like your action is a standard action and not a magnum action. This would account for the short magazine. Your rifle is seriously overbore and should probably be rebarreled. It would be cheaper to buy another rifle. This chambering is very hard on barrels and temperamental to load for. Make sure you call Hodgdon before going any farther.

Well, I feel like a fool. I should have checked myself, but ASSumed what I was told about it being a 6.5-300 wby. Best I see now, with the barrel stamped 6.5 H&H imp mag, its a little different. Not much, but enough that those loads were way hot. So I continued dropping one grain at a time and found once I got down to 79 grains the high pressure signs were gone. By the way I call Hogdon and they were very nice, but could not help me because it was a wildcat cartridge. Looked high and low for some load data on this cartridge and came up nearly empty handed. Best I can do at this point is use the load info for the 6.5-300 and drop it down the same percentage that I just did. I should also buy a chrono so I can see how its performing. Any other advise would be well taken.

If you can find someone with Quickload software, they may be able to help. They can tell you what information they need to determine possible loads. The necks may have to be outside turned. I am not sure what you are using for specs but the length of the case can be trimmed if too long.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.