6.5 x 20 scope

Sully2

Is a 6.5 too much scope for a Win model 70 in .338 caliber? Im wondering about the bottom end...not the top. I dont figure that 20X will be underpowered for the LONG shots...and I dont expect to be shooting "bunny rabbits" at my feet....but maybe 6.5 for say a 100 yd shot might be a tad "overkill"..?

Look at the specs for low end on scopes. I have leo 6.5-20 fov=14'.I have taken about 3 animals at 50 yrd area.I grew up shooting whiteys on the fly with large mag.So ok but would like more fov.My ss 5-20 has 20' and I find this small amount Much better and about what I want for a minimum .Now the Kahle 6-24 is suppose to be 22' on low end.It will vary for everyone. I hike up steep thick to get to long range areas.The leo has one of the smallest fov.

Most of the rifles I use regularly for hunting have 6.5x20s on them. I don't have a problem with 50-100 yd shots, but inside 50 things can get a little tricky. It's definitely not what I'd grab for hunting in thick timber where shots could be close, but other than that they work just fine.

Chris

I thank both of you gentlemen for your input. Im going to stick one of my Zeiss Conquests on it when I finally do get it. All of my other rifles are meant for typically little bitty critters as groundhogs and prairie dogs, etc...so a guy usually wants a tad more X factor.

Thanks again guys

I hunted jackrabbits with a 6.5-20 Burris Fullfield II and with a little practice I got quite good within 50 yards. I still would prefer 3 or 4x on the low end but after 50 yards the 6x works just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.