6.5 WSSM Dies??

RockZ

I have decided to rebarrel my 243WSSM to a 6.5/25WSSM.
Now I need to figure out the best way to load for it. I had a couple of ideas.
I am planning on using the sinclair expander mandrel to neck up from 25 to 6.5. Then:
1. Forster Ultra micrometer seater and full length sizing die set in 25wssm and send it to Forster to open up to the proper diameter and put in a .264 expander.

2.Redding Type-S full length sizing die in 25 wssm and getting the proper bushing.

What size bushing do I need or what diameter should I specify?
What diameter would work best to open up the seating die to?
Chamber is a .303 neck, so I figure a loaded round should be .300 o.d. at the neck. Would .297 bushing do it for the sizer?

you can't just put bushings for a 6.5 in your 25 unless you have the die altered to let the bushing go down to where the intersection of the neck and shoulder would be on a 6.5wssm.this would be for the redding die.

i like the idea of having forster open up their FL die to whatever diameter you need. you'll have to push some 25 brass out to 264 and load some bullets, then measure the neck diameter to determine what you'll want your neck dia to be.if you're turning the necks it would be wise to do this before seating the bullets and measuring the neck.i have the e-mail address of a fellow that set a world record in 1k last season and has been loading for this caliber for 2 years.he knows about as much as anyone about this cartridge.

RockZ

I have a 6.5/25wssm rifle and am working on one in a Savage Striker, both have a .303 neck.

I found the neck diameter of a loaded round using Win. brass to be right around .303, so I had to learn to turn necks. I use a K&M to take a .002 cut for a total of .004 off the loaded diameter. Then I use the Redding S type FL sizer with a .296 bushing.

For seating I just use a standard Redding seater for the 25 wssm that I swithced the seater plug to a .264 size. I have to adjust the die body way out in the press and the seating stem way in on the die, takes some tinkering but it works.

Hope this helps

Chris

Basic wildcating:
#1 Measure YOUR brass, and consider how your going to change it. Measure your bullets, put a dummy round together.
Don't let anything slip to the abstract or heresay.
#2 Fill out a reamer print and send it to Pacific with payment for a finish reamer, and headspace gauge.
#3 Have your smith chamber with your reamer, including your seating die, if he can.
#4 Have JLC Precision make you a bushing/body die with your reamer.

Things to consider with this round:
The brass will likely measure ~.0195 thick at the necks. Thats .039+.264=.303 so it won't have clearance in a .303 chamber neck without turning.
You need to turn it anyway, as neck tension is all over the place with brass this thick. High tension = High ES
You will find that brass so thick is difficult to predict in sizing. Alot of springback. In fact standard expander & turning madrels don't work well with this brass. So it's a challenge to turn.
I have one and really like it. But a standard 260 is a whole bunch easier. I'll admit that.
It has great potential, it's just that Winchester apparently had no hopes for it other than marketing when they chose to form WSSM brass from their WSMs. Huge screwup in my view. But only their 223wssm will go down as the biggest disaster in cartridge design -ever. Regardless of sales.

I turn mine. They measure .290 loaded for a .291nk chamber. I improved the shoulders and body a bit, for the capacity I desired. My ES is ~10fps. It's plenty accurate with 139Lapuas.
But I don't compete or anything.

[ QUOTE ]
you can't just put bushings for a 6.5 in your 25 unless you have the die altered to let the bushing go down to where the intersection of the neck and shoulder would be on a 6.5wssm.this would be for the redding die

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave, I worried about that also, but the folks at Redding say there's room to go up or down one caliber size with the bushings, so I tried it and they were right, I should have known /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
i have the e-mail address of a fellow that set a world record in 1k last season and has been loading for this caliber for 2 years.he knows about as much as anyone about this cartridge

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave, would that be Boyd H? After talking to him was when I started on this round, and your right he knows as much as anybody about this round.

Chris

Guys, thanks for the great info.

Wingman,
It looks like our chambers will have the same neck size ,so it gives me a good place to start with .296 .Also good to know the redding die bushing will work up a caliber with no mods.
I will turn the necks so a loaded round will be .300 o.d.

Dave,
I e-mailed Boyd a bunch already and he really helped me decide on all of the particulars for the barrel.Figured I would give him a break ,for now.

i guess it would only be a few thousands to go from 25 to 264 cal so it would only change the height of the bushing very little.

yeah, Boyd Heaton.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.