6.5 WSM reloading data

EZShooter

Hello fellow forum members! Longtime reader here asking for help on my first wildcat load development.... I have a 6.5 WSM (Len, jump in here if you have yours done already and have developed good loads!) that I am going to be shooting 140 gr Berger VLD's in... open to suggestions on load data. Tried doing the search to find old info, but wasn't able to find any info. The rifle I am using has an 8 twist shilen tube with a tight neck, so I need to be careful on the max loads... I am told that the smith fired some test loads of 64.0 gr. H-1000 with the bullet .005 off the lands, so I am working from there (rifle was bought used). I have h-1000, R22 and some H-4831SC to work with, though the last two might be a little fast for this cartridge. I have thought about trying Ramshot Magnum or R25. I am using Norma 270 WSM brass, and Federal GM215M primers.

I have noticed that most of the reloading data I have perused shows the 270 WSM, 7MM WSM and 300 WSM using progressively heavier charges when using bullets with approximately the same SD and when there is data that has them using the same powder - ala using H-1000 from Hodgdons reloading data shows 67.5 grs as max for 150 gr. bullet in 270 WSM, and 69.5 gr. as max for 160 gr bullet in 7mmWSM... so maybe 65.5 gr with 140 gr bullet in 6.5 WSM? My first thought is to try 0.3 gr intervals from 64.0 to to 65.2 and look for pressure signs. Any comments on this?

Any help is appreciated!

Erik aka EZ Shooter

You could give Chris Matthews a call at Longshot Rifles I know he shoots one for 1K BR. I believe he uses Retumbo.

Thanks for the replies...

I have emailed Fiftydriver for some of his recipes, as I have recently seen that he has built some pistols in 6.5 WSM. Maybe he has some recipes with H-1000 and 140 gr bullets... Reloaders nest is a great site, but they only have one load shown for H-1000 and 140 gr bullets - 59.2 gr.s, which is a lot lower than the loads I have already shot out of this gun... I have tried 64.0 and there were no pressure signs, no sticky extraction, no shiny spots on the brass headstamps, no flattened/cratered primers, etc. but I have read that custom rifles sometimes don't show pressure signs till you are blowing primers or pounding on the bolt.... Maybe I shouldn't try for top speed, but I have also read that accuracy usually gets better with better density loads, so.... and this thing is only shooting 1 moa at 100 yards right now, so accuracy is off a bit. I am going to try varying the distance from the lands, and neck tension as well at 64.0 and see what happens. It would be nice if someone with Quickload ran me something showing powders and charges for 140 gr bullets in this, but I dont blame anyone for not doing it! (go buy it for $150 yourself... lol).

EZ

I have one 6.5 WSM and another on the way. Both have different chamber configurations. My first 6.5 WSM is in a Rock Creek #3 fluted 26 inch barrel on a Model 70 that was originally a 300 WSM. The Barrel is very light and the stock is a all graphite MPI. With Talley light weight mounts and a Simmons Altec 4.5-16 Scope it weights 7.5 lbs. Recoil is substantial.

I also have a 6.5 X 284 with a heavier 26 inch Bartlein barrel on a Lone Wolf thumbhole stock that weighs 2 more pounds.

I have focused on the 120 Ballistic Tip and 130 Accubond bullets for mule deer hunting. All bullets are hexagonal Boron Nitride coated HBN. I have a friend who built a similar rifle to mine and has shot the Accubond bullets at a pronghorn and a mule deer at over 300 yds and they have penetrated completely with relatively small exit holes.

I use a Wilson seating die that was cut with my reamer. I consider it the key to concentric ammunition. The cases are sized with a .296 bushing in a Redding Type "S" full length bushing die.

I have tried the 85 and 100 gr Sierra varmint bullets with reduced loads to increase trigger time and reduce the barrel wear. I seat these with a separate Lee sliding sleeve die.

I might add I have extensive experience with the .264 Winchester Magnum in both factory and custom barrels.

I have tried Reloader 22 and Reloader 25 extensively and neither velocity or accuracy are as good as Retumbo. When I ordered my barrel and reamer, I expected to use R-22 and R-25 with Fed 215 primers. I have tried the new Hodgdon Superperformance (about R-19 burn rate), Alliant 4000MR (about 4831 burn rate). I have used IMR 7828, VV N-560, Magpro and Winchester 780. Velocity with these "new" powders is not impressive in this application. Magpro is fabulous with 140 gr bullets in the .270 WSM parent cartridge. I is at least 100 fps faster than any other in this .270 WSM application.

I use Norma brass and anneal it frequently.

lightbulbI currently use Retumbo with 130 gr Accubonds. Ramshot Magnum can be made to go just as fast as Retumbo but I have not achieved comparable accuracy. It is difficult to exceed 3300 fps with this combination. With HBN, the first shot out of a clean barrel is often right on the center of the target and the group. This was not the case with fowling rounds without HBN. I can get the occasional 3 shot group under an inch. I have shot under an inch at 200 yards as well. Surprise he barrel heats up quickly.

gun)
Is anybody exceeding this velocity with these bullets>

Attachments

• P1010751.jpg
    P1010751.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 245
I just finished chambering and installing a brake on mine. it is a 31 inch Krieger heavy varmint. I got some 140 gr A Max's and some VLD's to try. I also have some Retumbo and some H 1000. I have to bed the action yet, but hopefully will have it ready to shoot by monday.
You have the same Chrono that I have. I'll post back with results and keep an eye on this thread.
There is another 6.5 WSM thread in the gun photos section by Dan on his custom 6.5 and some load data there.
Tarey

My under construction 6.5 WSM will have a 28" Krieger barrel. The barrel is in for a muzzle brake and then "nitrocarburizing" before reassembly. I will be interested in the Berger VLDs because it has an 8 twist.

My experience with the .264 Wichester Magnum, 300 Weatherby and 7mm Remington Magnum was I was so excited when H-1000 came out, Bruce designed it for the 160 gr bullets in 7mm Rem Mag. I bought 8 lbs of H-1000. I gave most of it away. The velocity exceeded what I could get with heavy for caliber bullets ( R-25 and Retumbo were not available yet) but the accuracy was not what R-22 would deliver at slightly less velocity.

I would expect great accuracy from Retumbo. What I want to try is VV N-570. I have never tried this powder. Has anyone got any VV N-570 experience. Quickload usually shows it at the top of the list for velocity. The load data from Vihtavuori is not as encouraging. I will not be able to report until I get the barrel work completed. Again I am seeking velocity for long range hunting.:rolleyes:

My under construction 6.5 WSM will have a 28" Krieger barrel. The barrel is in for a muzzle brake and then "nitrocarburizing" before reassembly.... I would expect great accuracy from Retumbo. What I want to try is VV N-570. I have never tried this powder. Has anyone got any VV N-570 experience. Quickload usually shows it at the top of the list for velocity. The load data from Vihtavuori is not as encouraging. I will not be able to report until I get the barrel work completed. Again I am seeking velocity for long range hunting.:rolleyes:

I am using a Stiller S/A (Single Shot), with a 1-8.4" twist -30" Obermeyer +brake :D, Chad Dixon @ LongRifles Inc is doing the finish work now (build thread on the 'hide). I should be taking delivery in the next 2wks or so, I plan to shoot the 130 CEB & also have a box of 140grn Berger Hybrids (just in case:rolleyes:). In a discussion with one of our southern hemisphere hunters (I think it was kiwigreg) VV N-570 was talked about at length & I fully intend to give it a whirl right off the bat. I like trying new bullets, powders etc..... we'll see how things go, I intend to throw a thread on here to discuss my findings...

Stay Tuned....

I want to build a 6.5mmWSM, too. I have a Zermatt Arms stainless TL-3 in a left-bolt/right-port configuration. It's presently set-up for .473" heads, but the bolthead can be switched to a .532" head for $150. Unfortunately, the planned-emic has put the brakes on getting past having just the action for the past year. The stock will be the collapsing Magpul Pro 700 Series affair; around $900. The barrel looks to be an X-Caliber in a fat contour with a close-tolerance chamber. Thinking $600-some for that; will have a muzzle device machined-on for about $250. I look to spend about $300 for a nice trigger that can be set down to just a few ounces. The scope is going to be the Nightforce 7-35X x 56mm with an MOA reticle. Scheels in Sparks, NV has it for $3600; add 8.1% sales tax (about $292) to that price. Now, if brass, powder and bullets could just be found...

My X-Caliber .224 Valkyrie barrel I dumped for $175 because it was so rough. I have Krieger, Bartlein and Rock Creek 6.5 WSM barrels. If you need a budget button pulled barrel, I have much greater faith in McGowen than X-Caliber. How much barrel length are you planning on walking around with?

Bartlein has a new steel that they say can double the life of a barrel. I have a blank on order.

All of my 6.5 WSM barrels have been nitrocarburized. I also shoot coated (HBN) bullets which not only reduces pressure as the bullet starts in the rifling, extends barrel life and makes seating depth less critical, the first bullet from a clean dry barrel fits in the group.

Nosler .270 WSM brass would be my first choice. Reloader 26 is amazing with 140 gr bullets. Travis from R Bros, a guy that builds a thousand bolt rifles only on custom actions a year, a couple of years ago built "Deer Rifles" for he and his Brothers. They were 6.5 WSM chambered 24 inch barrels. He reported that they got 3300 fps with 140 Berger VLD Hunting bullets with Reloader 26. It takes a lot to amaze Travis. Travis was telling this story to everyone who walked in the shop. He didn't tell me because he knew my interest in the cartridge. The got their sagebrush mule deer in Eastern Washington.