6.5 WSM or 6.5-284

i have a 260rem, a 6.5x55 and a 6.5-284.

imho any of the 6.5 chamberings that have been discussed would suit your needs easily.

Tac Shot,

I literally just got this rifle from Chris...

I am only in the break-in period and havn't done data work yet..

I'll be sure to let everyone know when I do...

IAN
Have you been peeking at my chrono? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gifUnfortunately the seemingly impressive velocities i get from my swede are by using light bullets.I get a comfortable 3100fps with the 100 Nosler B/T.This is excellent Roe medicine,but if i go 140 grain i cannot hope to keep up with a 6.5x284.The swede simply does not have the capacity.

The 6.5x55 Ackley is indeed a superb performer but i think i am right in saying that dies are expensive and also you obviously need to fire form the cases.

The 6.5x284 on the other hand has off the shelf Redding dies and ready to go Lapua brass.

As for the 6.5WSM vs 6.5x284 accuracy debate all i can say to that is i simply have no idea which is superior.What i can say though is the 6.5x284 has been shown time and time again to be a superb long range cartridge and would be my choice if starting from scratch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BRIT.

Nick,
I think you deliberately decieved me with those fast 6.5 velocities in order to get me to make a prat of my self infront of the guys at LRH, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif you wait i'll get you for that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All i can ay is be carefull and watch out for that "mild" hot pepper sauce i put on your pork pies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

I would have to put in a vote with Ric on the 260. I have 2 of them one in a mountain rifle for packing and one in a VLS for target shooting. I shoot 120 NBT's in the mountain rifle and 107 SMK's in the VLS.

One benefit overlooked, is availability of factory loaded ammo...with the 6.5 Swede you can get it just about anywhere, whereas the .260 Rem and 6.5 WSM you'd only find in the larger population centers...I got some from a Hudson Bay Trading Post in the High Arctic of Canada to replace the ammo that was in the misplaced baggage.

Is that rifle .260 or .260AI? What is the achievable difference in the two? After I started shooting my .300 Win Mag, I am once again reminded why I love my SAUM so; ballistically identical and I use 10-20 gr less powder. Literally more bang for my buck!

Even a .260 AI should use less powder than 6.5-284 right? I would be interested in shooting 100 gr NP and 120-125 gr Ballistic tip style bullet.

I ask this same question although for a differant reason. I have a Savage 110 in a 300rum, I plan on making a switch barrel rifle with it. I had planned on 6.5-284, but now i tend to think it would be simpler to go with a 264WSM because i could use the same bolt and magizine for both wsm and rum

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.