6.5 WSM anyone have any pro's or con's?

Agunner012

6.5 WSM anyone have any pro\'s or con\'s?

Fairly new member here, I have been reading a lot about the 6.5 WSM and was wondering if any of you LR or ULR shooters have any first hand experience with this wildcat? Its been around a little while and there should be some good range/field reports. Good or bad, please let me know.

Thanks

[ 11-05-2003: Message edited by: Agunner012 ]

Re: 6.5 WSM anyone have any pro\'s or con\'s?

Just built one for WyoWhisper, shoots really good but kinda finicky. Building one for myself for 1000 yd benchrest. Buddy of mine shoots two of 'em at Iowa. It has put his name in the back of Precision Shooting several times. Pretty consistent .5 MOA at 1000.
Typically can't use Sierra MK. Amax's, Cateuricio or maybe Berger's, JLK, Clich River would be better choices.
Pushes 140ish bullets around 3400-3500.
People will tell you it's hard on throats, but my buddy has around 1000 rounds on one of his and it's still shooting.
Good round but almost too much of a good thing. If you are inexperienced at reloading/wildcatting stick to the 6.5-284.

[ 11-05-2003: Message edited by: chris matthews ]

Only thing I've heard, is a second hand report from a guy that knew somebody that built one.

"The barrel burner from Hell!"

Therefore, the one I am building is a 7mm WSM.

The big reason I liked the 6.5 is the availability of great match bullets with high BCs like the 139 Lapua. The 6.5-.284 and 6.5-'06 are both wildcats requiring some case forming.

However, the 7mm WSM is not a wild cat and both Cartaruchio and Berger make 176 and 180 grain VLDs Match Bullets with BC higher than the 6.5 bullets!!!

Therefore, my new long range Target rifle will be a 7mm WSM with a #7 pattern 3 groove 1 in 10 barrel, Winchester Action, and USO/Horus (H25) Scope 3.2-17x44/58 SN-3 Optic.

I have calculated that the 180 Barnes BC=.698 at 2850 mv will get to 1000 yards within about 25 minutes of come-up.

Rifle will also throw a 100grain Sierra Varmint pill out at over 3500 fps. (Which I am told is not a good idea as a steady diet.)

Therefore, I decided not to go with the 6.5 WSM as my first choice. The 7mm WSM is also not a Wildcat with all the attendant problems.

D.
smile.gif

[ 11-05-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]

<<< oops. Double post. >>>>>

[ 11-05-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts