6.5 Wildcating Questions

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by P-Steve-E, Apr 10, 2004.

1. P-Steve-E

P-Steve-E Active Member

I have a .260 Rem -Rem SA
    I know that I would be better off with a longer action but----if I rechambered to 6.5/284 Norma Would I reap any benifits in velocity? I think I have a 2.8 max Box but it can be made to 3.1 I've heard
    Even though I may give up some powder with longer bullets. Wouldn't I still gain a couple 100 fps
    The barrel has got 200 -250 rounds thru it and it groups good.
    I just want a little more uuumph

2. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Easiest way to do it is set your barrel back and punch the chamber to 260 Ackley Improved. I have been getting 6.5-284 velocities with this cartridge. Definietly the way to go in a SA.

3. P-Steve-E

P-Steve-E Active Member

Chris
    What kind of velocity are you speaking of?
    120?
    130?
    140?
    If you dont mind me asking

4. Pete Lincoln

Pete Lincoln Well-Known Member

well if you are prepared to single load each round you can do as you please, a friend of mine has a 300 win mag on a short action. If i wanted maximum length in a short action i would probably go for an AICS stock and mill the reciever out so the max length rounds would feed. personaly i would learn to be happy with the 260 or do as the other gent said, go for the AI version of the chamber.
    Pete

5. chris matthews

chris matthews Well-Known Member

Getting around 2900 with the 140 or 142 MK, I don't remember which it was. The 139 Scenar is another good one. Loaded to fit in the factory mag.