6.5 ulta mag

Hello, I'm currently shooting a 6.5/300 Weatherby. I took it for black bear and whitetail this fall but didn't have a chance at either. I'm shooting the 139 Lapua Scenar bullet. Anybody have any experience with this bullet on game? It would be interesting to hear from any one who has experience with this cartridge or bullet, Stan

Call me just as crazy, I guess since I am seriously considering a 1-7 twist 6.5x7mm Dakota in a XP using Richard's 168's (may be a little heavier even).

I have no actual field experience with the 139 Scenar but from hearing about field results with other Scenar bullets I would personally look at the 142 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat bullet instead.

What barrel twist are you using?

Kirby Allen(50)

Xphunter,

Ya know there has been talk in the past about trying a 180 gr ULD RBBT 6.5mm bullet. That was quite a while ago, not sure if Richard can get jackets for this length 6.5mm but it was discussed before......

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
Yes I know, I just recently had the same conversation with him in the last week. He really thinks it is possible now.
That is what set me back to the 6.5x7mm Dakota.

My barrel twist is a 9 twist. I guess I was just going off the great name Lapua has for accuracy and was going to give them a try. I know shootin into wood is not a good test but I tried that and at 200yds the bullet went about 10" before stopping and when I dug it out it was pretty much pieces. The wood was a soft wood. Is balistic gelatin worth buying to test bullets? Who makes the wildcat bullets and where can you buy them? Stan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.