6.5 STW Load Data Required

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by J.J.H., Apr 9, 2007.

1. J.J.H.

J.J.H. Member

Hello,I would greatly appreciate any load info anyone has for the 6.5 STW!I recently aquired a custom rifle in this chambering and am interested in developing accurate long range hunting loads for it.If anyone can relate their experiences with this chambering I would love to hear about it.
    Thanks Jason.

2. Budman

Budman Well-Known Member

Jason do a search here for some loads I recieved from other members. Not knowing what bullet wieght you want to use this may help. I have some data for 142's with H-50BMG that was developed during the cold and I am waiting for spring to retest for pressure. I also tried US 869 but it appeared to slow at the time I was testing. This was all done in a 30 inch barrel. Dave

3. giannis

giannis Well-Known Member

77.5 gr Retumbo
    142 SMK
    215 Fed Match
    3350 fps
    MAX LOAD ON THIS RIFLE
    brass is trash after 2-3 loadings but very accurate.

4. J.J.H.

J.J.H. Member

Thanks for the replys,Budman and Greek.What is your experience using SMK's for hunting?I was a little reluctant to use match type bullets for hunting,should I be?I was considering bullets in the 130gr. range as they appear to be a great combination of high BC and SD.Intrigued by Barnes 130TSX,Nosler 130AB, and Swifts 130 Scirroco.Is 3400fps achievable in a 26" barrel using this bullet weight?I am very impressed by this calibers BC and SD values,it should make a fantastic long distance Hammer.
    Thanks for the help.Jason.