6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

I obviously have not got my hands on one yet, but the Curtis Custom Axiom looks like an awesome alternative to a trued Remington or any other factory action for that matter.
Mind if I ask what those are selling for? Where is a good shop to pick one up?

You'll have to use a different receiver. The Howa bolt can't be safely opened up to accept the SS. I was planning on doing the same thing till my smith looked into the bolt.

Must be one of those places where the Vanguard is very different from the Howa. I have a Vanguard in 300WSM. Full magnum bolt face in a short action.

I just bought a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag for the express purpose of making a 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 SS

I just bought a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem Mag for the express purpose of making a 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 SS

I've been thinking of doing the exact same thing! My cousin just bought a new tikka 7mm that I was working up a load for and after playing around with it for a bit, I was really impressed with how smooth she was... got me thinking it would be the perfect gun for a light weight 6.5 saum or SS project, already have a 6.5 rsaum built on a long action savage but it's a beast at about 18lbs with a 27" heavy barrel sitting in a chassis... not ideal for carrying more than 100 feet from the truck... it's a hammer on long range steel though...

Have killed one buck with it at 400 yards and it dropped like it got hit by lightning... was not ideal shot placement, hit him directly in the lumbar spine with a 140gr hybrid, made a hole the size of billiard ball directly through his vertebrae and exited the off side, died instantly didn't even kick, have absolutely no qualms using this combo for long range hunting despite my crappy shot placement (he took a step forward just as I was squeezing the trigger, plus I was maybe hurrying the shot a little :rolleyes: .....)

Anyways I'm thinking a 24" heavy varmint barrel would be a perfect fit...

Let us know how She works out for ya....

Orch

Must be one of those places where the Vanguard is very different from the Howa. I have a Vanguard in 300WSM. Full magnum bolt face in a short action.

I looked into that to. Thought I could just buy a wsm bolt and go with it. Legacy won't sell a bolt without you sending in the rifle and letting them check headspace. They didn't care if it was for a custom build. The extractor was the issue with opening up the bolt face.

I looked into that to. Thought I could just buy a wsm bolt and go with it. Legacy won't sell a bolt without you sending in the rifle and letting them check headspace. They didn't care if it was for a custom build. The extractor was the issue with opening up the bolt face.
As I was tossing and turning last night after you shattered my dreams with this bit of news I came up with replacing the bolt face. Never customized a gun before which is why it took so long for me to think of it. Now here you go and do it all over again. THANKS A LOT!!!

What caliber was your donor and which SS were you wanting to build? What did you end up doing?

As I was tossing and turning last night after you shattered my dreams with this bit of news I came up with replacing the bolt face. Never customized a gun before which is why it took so long for me to think of it. Now here you go and do it all over again. THANKS A LOT!!!

What caliber was your donor and which SS were you wanting to build? What did you end up doing?

Sorry to bust your bubble, at least that bubble hadn't cost you any $$$ yet. I've been searching for the answer for several months now. I was originally going to do a 6.5 and then found out that in my home state of Oklahoma I can't hunt elk(if I ever somehow draw a once in a lifetime tag) with anything smaller than .270. So, I'm going to be running a 7SS. I'm planning on using the new Curtis Custom Axiom action once it hits the market. I had planned on using a Savage until I couldn't find a stock I liked. The savage would probably be the least expensive way to go. If you want to run a SS you could buy any savage with the magnum bolt face and do a barrel swap. If you really want to run a Howa, find a long action and run a regular Sherman instead of the SS, as long as you have enough room in the mag box. I don't have a long action to check that. I'm not an expert by any means, but hope this helps you get what you want.

Eurooptic has great deals on them right now. I bought a T3 Hunter for $520 shipped.

Eurooptic has great deals on them right now. I bought a T3 Hunter for $520 shipped.
I was looking at those as well. What is the diameter/contour on the barrel? I'm wanting something with a .700 or so and the Tikka Varmint in a 6.5 is not available as far as I can see.

No idea it's not here yet! Probably just a little shy of that but I won't be keeping the barrel for long unless it's a shooter.

I built a 7SS on a Savage 116. I bought it new as a package deal in 300 WSM. I parted out the barrel and put the scope on an old '06. This is an inexpensive way to go and it shoots .2's........Rich