6.5 ss final design

Sounds like a good excuse for a new
mountain rifle to me. I'm eagerly awaiting
your results.

Sounds like a good excuse for a new
mountain rifle to me. I'm eagerly awaiting
your results.

Ya, I can't wait either. We think it will have a lot of good application. Light weight packer to long range thumper! It might be a really good F-class as well......rich

I have some of the 160s to give a try in my 6.5x284, they arent very long ( i think 1.49") and have a very long bearing surface so i can reach the lands in my gun. I am sure this bullet will be a winner in any rifle that will push them 2850 fps+

That make me thinks it would be a good bullet to run in a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor, even the 6.5 Swede. That changes the game. Can you confirm the BC?

(bigngreens) dad shoots them in the 6.5 Sherman at 3050' and from what he has told me, they are pretty close. I guess he's been wearing out a rock at some 1450 yards:D

OK. I want to try them in my 6.5 284 as well. I just wanted to ensure they are good for hunting since I want to practice with what I hunt with.

Man even if this bullet only flies 2850 with a 720 bc it is still hitting at 1400 as hard as the 140 at 1000 with a 613 bc at 2970. giggity giggity dead wolf

OK. I want to try them in my 6.5 284 as well. I just wanted to ensure they are good for hunting since I want to practice with what I hunt with.

Man even if this bullet only flies 2850 with a 720 bc it is still hitting at 1400 as hard as the 140 at 1000 with a 613 bc at 2970. giggity giggity dead wolf

You got it!:D

The BC we've been using is working BUT it's real easy to get the numbers of a bit and force something but they are dang sure higher than a 140 anything with better sectional density. The 270 cal 165 Matrix is built the same with lead all the way out and it's performance on game is outstanding so I'm very hopeful for the 160 6.5 cal but no one's put them on game so until then there is really no locked down data so we just gotta shoot them and give them a go!!!

There's a few boxes of the 160's out now, so the more hands there in the more we know :D

The BC we've been using is working BUT it's real easy to get the numbers of a bit and force something but they are dang sure higher than a 140 anything with better sectional density. The 270 cal 165 Matrix is built the same with lead all the way out and it's performance on game is outstanding so I'm very hopeful for the 160 6.5 cal but no one's put them on game so until then there is really no locked down data so we just gotta shoot them and give them a go!!!

There's a few boxes of the 160's out now, so the more hands there in the more we know :D

Well, if I ever get my dang go gauge, I may put one on a bear in May..Rich

That make me thinks it would be a good bullet to run in a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor, even the 6.5 Swede. That changes the game. Can you confirm the BC?

My results are from 100,300,600,1030,1320,1450yd drops run through Bigngreen's ballistic program. .72 works @3050 every time within 1moa. At around 2900, .70 is a bit closer.
Not really a very sophisticated approach but it is working.
I am very interested in hearing what these do in other cartridges at other speeds.
Cliff

Ya, I can't wait either. We think it will have a lot of good application. Light weight packer to long range thumper! It might be a really good F-class as well......rich

Agreed. I've been itching for a 6.5mm the last few years.
Hopefully the waiting has paid off. This seems to be the
ultimate packing rifle cartridge. I've been thinking about
the 270 wsm with matrix bullets for a while now. But idk now........
Congrats on your new design.

OK. If I can get my hands on some we have a bear hunt coming up that I can put my rifle on the starting line for. It is a 1 on 1 on hunt with 2 hunters. Plus I will be going and scouting with the kid and outfitter. The kid wants a bear pretty bad so I told him if it was worth rugging he could tag it. I got my eye on a massive boar I might tag personally. He is colored bear and the ranchers hate him. He is huge and close to 30 years old they claim. I don't know about the age but he was a big old bear and just out of bow range.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.