6.5 Sherman and US 869?

I know that with 140 grain jacketed bullets in the 6.5 Sherman (as evolved from Win. 270 cases) powders within the general burn rate range of Retumbo and N570 seem to be just about the Ideal, but has anyone tried US 869 or the canister grade Hodgdon 869 version of it in this application?

Last edited:
I know that with 140 grain jacketed bullets in the 6.5 Sherman (as evolved from Win. 270 cases) powders within the general burn rate range of Retumbo and N570 seem to be just about the Ideal, but has anyone tried US 689 or the canister grade Hodgdon 689 version of it in this application?
I think I tried some years ago and even though I couldn't reach max pressure, it still ran pretty well.

Years ago I went as high as 73 grains with WC 872. Good velocity, and no signs of pressure excursion, but lousy accuracy, and highly compressed. My best accuracy load for 140 grain bullets was 68 grains of IMR-5010, but it was a lengthy process in which I had to vibrate and tap it into the cases while dribbling it in, and it was very highly compressed. A lot of crunching went on during the seating of the Hornday 140 grain SP for that one.

How might N568 perform with 140 grain bullets in the 6.5 Sherman. Where does it fit in as to grains of powder charge vs. N570 and Retumbo?
I have found N568 takes a bit more weight (but with less bulk) than N570 to get the same speeds.

That being said, I have only found N570 to get good speeds in large cases. The bulk seems to keep it from performing well in smaller cases. I have not tried it in 6.5 Sherman, but I have tried it in .280AI, and 6.5SS with mediocre results.

Forgot to add in my post #6 above that the bullet used was a 140 VLDH. I found N570 worked good in the 6.5 Sherman. Only load I really used. Barrel is done now and making it into a 338-06AI for something different.

Have you looked at the load data on Sherman wildcats page? Should be some information on there. Or send Rich a PM. I'm sure he could help even though the company has been sold.

There are only two recipes using N570 with the 6.5 Sherman on the load data sheet.
For the 140 VLD, it was faster than H1000, IMR7828, H4831, Magpro, and Retumbo. RL26 beat N570.
For the 150 Matrix, it was slower than RL26, RL33, and Retumbo.

Forgot to add in my post #6 above that the bullet used was a 140 VLDH. I found N570 worked good in the 6.5 Sherman. Only load I really used. Barrel is done now and making it into a 338-06AI for something different.

Have you looked at the load data on Sherman wildcats page? Should be some information on there. Or send Rich a PM. I'm sure he could help even though the company has been sold.
I'm new here. I didn't know there was such a page. Where do I find it?

I'm new here. I didn't know there was such a page. Where do I find it?
Try a google search of Sherman wildcats. I believe there is a load data page. I haven't used the site in a long time, so I'm unsure if it's still there. Just be sure to look up the right data. Lots of variations of 6.5 Sherman. You want the original based off the 270 Win.

Try a google search of Sherman wildcats. I believe there is a load data page. I haven't used the site in a long time, so I'm unsure if it's still there. Just be sure to look up the right data. Lots of variations of 6.5 Sherman. You want the original based off the 270 Win.
So it's not within this forum?

Edit: I found it and I just printed it out. Many thanks!!!