6.5 saum

After speaking with GAP, I was told the .120 freebore is actually better for the 140 VLDs and other hunting type bullets. I think thats what I'll be going with as well.

Getting 6 loadings from the first batch sounds reasonable considering the second batch is supposed to be better!

After speaking with GAP, I was told the .120 freebore is actually better for the 140 VLDs and other hunting type bullets. I think thats what I'll be going with as well.

Getting 6 loadings from the first batch sounds reasonable considering the second batch is supposed to be better!

The .120 works great with 140 hybrids and jlks too if you run something like a wyatts box.

That is one reason I developed the SS. I run a .170 throat and have .020" longer neck than a saum which makes it as good as a .190" throat. COAL is 2.880" to lands with a 150 Matrix.

The .120 works great with 140 hybrids and jlks too if you run something like a wyatts box.

I built mine on a M70 WSM push feed action. Factory mag box lets me load 3.00"+ COAL.

I never tried the 140hunting VLDs just the Hybrids and the group pretty good. I have a few 150gr matrix bullets but don't know if its worth trying to work up a load for them.

I can confirm the first batch of Hornady brass was disapointing. I sold most of mine and formed more out of norma brass instead.

George seemed pretty adamant that Hornady make changes to the second batch or he'd send it back. Time will tell how the second run turned out. Hopefully it's well because necking down and turning is a PITA.
Not sure it's better.
I blew the primer pockets of the new batch of hornady brass on there first loading with 59.2grs to 59.7grs of RL26 and a cci br primer, my barrel is 1-8twist 24"benchmark on a rem 700 action.
My speeds were 3100-3155 avg. So I'm not sure wgat happened there?? On the first batch I got to 59.7 and the pockets loosened but were not blown but my speed were 3040 avg.
First batch of Hornady brass 80 rounds down the barrel worked from 58.5 grs to 59.7grs, the latest new batch of hornady brass 30 rounds from 59.2grs to 59.7grs all pockets blown but seems my barrel was speeding up cause it went 3100 to 3155fps. Maybe case capacity on the new batch of brass is smaller than the first batch not sure???
So I'm going down to 58.5 grs to see if the new batch holds up to that charge, I hope it does and I can get 3050 at least and 10 reloads I pray. Or maybe go to H1000 and try that powder, all
suggestions and advice welcomed.
Thank you,
Elmer

Not sure it's better.
I blew the primer pockets of the new batch of hornady brass on there first loading with 59.2grs to 59.7grs of RL26 and a cci br primer, my barrel is 1-8twist 24"benchmark on a rem 700 action.
My speeds were 3100-3155 avg. So I'm not sure wgat happened there?? On the first batch I got to 59.7 and the pockets loosened but were not blown but my speed were 3040 avg.
First batch of Hornady brass 80 rounds down the barrel worked from 58.5 grs to 59.7grs, the latest new batch of hornady brass 30 rounds from 59.2grs to 59.7grs all pockets blown but seems my barrel was speeding up cause it went 3100 to 3155fps. Maybe case capacity on the new batch of brass is smaller than the first batch not sure???
So I'm going down to 58.5 grs to see if the new batch holds up to that charge, I hope it does and I can get 3050 at least and 10 reloads I pray. Or maybe go to H1000 and try that powder, all
suggestions and advice welcomed.
Thank you,
Elmer

Elmer....I am not trying to be a wise guy at all but I think the solution is to use Norma brass. I know that stinks because a lot of people were really liking the idea of head stamped brass.I can get 3300' without blowing primers in my SS using Norma....Rich

Elmer....I am not trying to be a wise guy at all but I think the solution is to use Norma brass. I know that stinks because a lot of people were really liking the idea of head stamped brass.I can get 3300' without blowing primers in my SS using Norma....Rich
Thx elkaholic I'm going to go through this brass that I've bought 1st batch 200 pieces and 2nd batch 200 pieces and then listen to your advise and load up on the norma brass and start the neck turning process which I was trying to avoid. But this is insane 400 pieces of brass and it's not the best. Thank God for the the primer tightening ball bearing tool I read about on this forum at least i'll tighten them up a bit and try get 5-6 loads out of them.
Is there 7saum norma Brass around for sale?

Thank you,
elmer

Elmer,

I would think based on increased velocities the brass is seeing increased pressure.

Norma 7 SAUM brass has had good availability for a couple years now.

:
Thx elkaholic I'm going to go through this brass that I've bought 1st batch 200 pieces and 2nd batch 200 pieces and then listen to your advise and load up on the norma brass and start the neck turning process which I was trying to avoid. But this is insane 400 pieces of brass and it's not the best. Thank God for the the primer tightening ball bearing tool I read about on this forum at least i'll tighten them up a bit and try get 5-6 loads out of them.
Is there 7saum norma Brass around for sale?

Thank you,
elmer

Bullets.com is where I buy mine. You can use 300 saum just about as easy too since you are neck turning anyway. Or you could just re chamber in SS and gain some performance:D

I have all the 6.5s except 26 nosler, 6.5x300 why.
Wsm with 140 3180 with h 1000 28" bel
Saum I tried all the powders, h 4831 ssc at 60.0 gave me bugs holes at 3175
6.5x284 140 Berger magnam got it in to 3100s shoot a 3 " at a 1000
6.5 mag 3150 with 140
264 win 3150
6.5-06 have seen 3200, my load is 3025 sub moa

You can only burn so much powder in a 6.5 barrel.

Pick on and have fun.

Just remember you can only burn so much powder in a 6.5 barrel

I have all the 6.5s except 26 nosler, 6.5x300 why.
Wsm with 140 3180 with h 1000 28" bel
Saum I tried all the powders, h 4831 ssc at 60.0 gave me bugs holes at 3175
6.5x284 140 Berger magnam got it in to 3100s shoot a 3 " at a 1000
6.5 mag 3150 with 140
264 win 3150
6.5-06 have seen 3200, my load is 3025 sub moa

You can only burn so much powder in a 6.5 barrel.

Pick on and have fun.

Just remember you can only burn so much powder in a 6.5 barrel

I agree with this but you can burn it more efficiently and get more with less and go a lot easier on your barrel............Rich

One the Short action ultra mag the bolt diameter is a mag face diameter correct. Reason being I have a 6.5X284 that has about 1800 rounds on it and I think it may be finally going south. Savage long action. I think the mag box would also have to be changed and possibally the action open up on the feed rails to convert this over to the saum case. Something easier might be a 6.5-06AI....or a 6.5-270AI which might be the same thing as the 06 but I thought the 270 had the shoulder pushed a little more forward for greater case capacity...but I'm not really sure or just rebarrel to the same thing since I have all the dies and about another 75 new cases of Lapua brass.

One the Short action ultra mag the bolt diameter is a mag face diameter correct. Reason being I have a 6.5X284 that has about 1800 rounds on it and I think it may be finally going south. Savage long action. I think the mag box would also have to be changed and possibally the action open up on the feed rails to convert this over to the saum case. Something easier might be a 6.5-06AI....or a 6.5-270AI which might be the same thing as the 06 but I thought the 270 had the shoulder pushed a little more forward for greater case capacity...but I'm not really sure or just rebarrel to the same thing since I have all the dies and about another 75 new cases of Lapua brass.

There would be some conversion for the SAUM size. The 270 does have the shoulder farther forward than an '06. Your best, and easiest conversion might be the 6.5 Sherman...........Rich

There would be some conversion for the SAUM size. The 270 does have the shoulder farther forward than an '06. Your best, and easiest conversion might be the 6.5 Sherman...........Rich

Rich a 270 has the same shoulder as a 30-06 but the 270 has a longer neck at 2.540" the 06 case length is 2.494" a 280rem has the shoulder moved forward so it can not be chambered in a 270 or 30-06

280 rem and 270 win have the same case length 2.540" but the 280 rem has the shoulder pushed forward .050"

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts