6.5 saum

Kurt,

Are you calling 6,5 WSM a liar? Are you saying he should just keep quiet and not share his info? Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil?

nope believe everything he said about the 6.5-270wsm but he said he does not believe what George reported. I will take the word of one of the best smiths in the country along with the multiple other people of high regard that are running this caliber. It isn't snake oil has been in development for a few years. He has the equipment to test real world pressure not just checking on a computer program. Not wanting to do the brass prep is a understandable reason for sticking with the 6.5-284.

nope believe everything he said about the 6.5-270wsm but he said he does not believe what George reported. I will take the word of one of the best smiths in the country along with the multiple other people of high regard that are running this caliber. It isn't snake oil has been in development for a few years. He has the equipment to test real world pressure not just checking on a computer program. Not wanting to do the brass prep is a understandable reason for sticking with the 6.5-284.

If he is actually using accurate equipment to test the pressure and velocity, then that is hard to deny.

The SAUM does have more capacity than 6.5-284 which does give it more velocity potential. That said, the WSM has more than the SAUM and Norma does make 270 WSM brass which would be easier to form. I'm thinking that if you can 3100 fps with 53,000 pressure, then you should be able to get 3100 fps with 52,000 pressure out of the WSM.

The only reason I would choose the SAUM over the WSM is to fit it in a short action.

I understand people don't want to accept change. I heard every reason why my Stainless Tumbling Media would not work. Find someone now who cant live without it:)

All I know is that I am getting parts together for one of these builds. George=GA Precession builds over 1700 custom guns a year, and has done over 20 of the 6.5 saum guns now. What other gunsmith has that kind of experience. He just cant put his name on something without lots of testing. He also has the equipment to test chamber pressure not just run it off quickload. Once I get my gun built I will post my results as well. I would say its proven.

10 shot Target with H1000 and 140 Amaxes @ 3140 FPS. Found good seating depth and load.

the Magnetospeed V1 is one slick unit !

IMG_14254.jpg

IMG_79903.jpg

IMG_27942.jpg

bugholes001.jpg

Confirming POI for a range card at 200 yards. These loads are producing 3250fps.
Xrifle003.jpg

130 JLK's shot pretty well....8 shots fired fast. The barrel was pretty hot and it still put them right in there.
3-jlks002.jpg

Still shooting fair with 700+ down the tube......grin!
mcdogs019.jpg

I understand people don't want to accept change. I heard every reason why my Stainless Tumbling Media would not work. Find someone now who cant live without it:)

All I know is that I am getting parts together for one of these builds. George=GA Precession builds over 1700 custom guns a year, and has done over 20 of the 6.5 saum guns now. What other gunsmith has that kind of experience. He just cant put his name on something without lots of testing. He also has the equipment to test chamber pressure not just run it off quickload. Once I get my gun built I will post my results as well. I would say its proven.

Skyking, anyone who has known me in this forum knows I am someone who is almost always ready for something new. When new powder and bullets come out, I am usually one of the first to experiment with them. I have also tried a couple of experimental barrel treatments which turned out to be not quite what was promoted or hoped for. I have found that most of the hype of new stuff is hype. Sometimes there is a little increased beneifit and sometimes like in the case of RL17, it actually exceeds what was projected. I have also been very interested in the nitriding treatments and will be sending 3 rifles in very soon. IMO, that's the way to go for extended barrel life. Higher velocities, easy cleaning, corrsion resistance, smooth actions.

Good luck with your build and keep us posted on progress. I'll do the same with my nitrided 6.5 WSM

BTW, are you an old SAC guy? That Skyking call sign brings back memories for SAC guys.

A 6.5 SAUM should have zero issues with 3100fps from a normal length barrel, I'm shooting a 6.5 SS which is a wildcat using the SAUM as a parent case, pushed back and blown out shoulder with a little less capacity and I can easily run 140's at 3200 fps while cycling through a standard short action box mag with excellent bullet seating so 3100 from a SAUM would not be humping it!!
We have two 6.5 chamberings that are running a 140 in the 3100-3200 fps and the 160's in the 3000fps range, one is passing 400 rounds and the other 1000 rounds and they'll keep cruising from the looks of the throat and the accuracy.

I think how guys take care of their throats and how they clean make a huge difference in perceived barrel life, IMO!

A 6.5 SAUM should have zero issues with 3100fps from a normal length barrel, I'm shooting a 6.5 SS which is a wildcat using the SAUM as a parent case, pushed back and blown out shoulder with a little less capacity and I can easily run 140's at 3200 fps while cycling through a standard short action box mag with excellent bullet seating so 3100 from a SAUM would not be humping it!!
We have two 6.5 chamberings that are running a 140 in the 3100-3200 fps and the 160's in the 3000fps range, one is passing 400 rounds and the other 1000 rounds and they'll keep cruising from the looks of the throat and the accuracy.

I think how guys take care of their throats and how they clean make a huge difference in perceived barrel life, IMO!

Rhian,

Making 3100 fps wasn't the question. It was making it with 53,000 pressure which is the premiss of triple the life.

I will bet that the Chronograph is not set up parallel to trajectory. I use a magnetic level on my PACT chronograph to true it to the ground. If the set up is anything but parallel, then the distance is less between sensors and the readings will be high. His bayonet style chronograph is even more critical because the distance between sensors is so small. I have sensors 24 inches apart with the PACT. The Ohler has sensors at 36 inches and then at another 36 inches.

Another test would be to see what the software programs say. What does Quickload say?

When H-1000 was introduced, I bought 8 pounds immediately for use in my two pre-64 Model 70s, one with the original 1958 Winchester 26 inch barrel and one with a Krieger 26 inch barrel. 3180 (still under 3200) was the maximum I could load and get the primer pockets (Norma 7mm Mag brass) hold for another firing.
With 129 Hornadys it was hard to get to 3300 fps and reload the brass with H-1000.

Im back in town and unthawed, the Icebreaker was a great time as usual. The Xtreme Hunter is just at its debut, Im not one to just throw a product at guys without a year of testing. Yes I have over 3400 rounds on my rifle now and its still shooting sub 1/2" Bryan Yeung on Team GAP shot one to 2800 and it was still in the 1/2 " range. This is proven. Its not a real secret its about Pressure!! The 308 runs at at pressures of 53000-58000 PSI I wanted to find a case that would make 3100 with a High BC Bullet at that same low low pressure. The Saum was wat we landed at with lots of testing. With a 140 JLK I could get 3080 FPS with only 53000 PSI I shot this load for a year, guys there are many to witness, I shot this at Lonestar, Snipershide Cup, PTS, Maammoth, and Nor-Cal I shot this at last years IceBreaker, and this years as well , with alot of practice in between, all on the same original Barrel. It still shoots great. The same load is now 3020 but with 63 grains of H1000 and the 130 Berger im getting 3180 in this same warn out
wink.png
Rifle with that group at 1157 to prove it still has some life. Guys this is Legit its about pressure!!!! This cartridge is Game Changing and the Xtreme Hunter is the only rifle a Guy needs in N America.

2 guys now have commented after shooting one. both Quotes were Identical!!! " This is the Deadliest rifle Ive ever shot"!!! Both guys are far from Amateur!

this is right from George himself,

he has actual equipment to run pressure test not just computer programs. This is not just an idea that was thought of last week, with over a year of testing involved. if you would just go and take the time to read the thread on the hide it is spelled out in detail. If you want to question how or valid his test procedures are ask him directly and you will get answers

I traded a 1911 for a tikka t3 300wsm and then promptly sent the t3 off to short action customs to have it rechambered to 6.5 saum 4s when it gets done i'll post some pics and the first trip to the range.

I traded a 1911 for a tikka t3 300wsm and then promptly sent the t3 off to short action customs to have it rechambered to 6.5 saum 4s when it gets done i'll post some pics and the first trip to the range.

I can't wait to hear how it turns out.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing.

Can I ask how much they're charging for the conversion?

It's about $2300 all said and done. It will get a new bartlein barrel, manners stock, action truing, barrel threaded for can and chambered, Cerakoted and pillar bedding. Prices are pretty consistent with other smiths rates. You could keep it in the same factory stock and just get a new barrel for $300 and true the action and chamber for 500.

Since the 6.5 4S is getting fantastic barrel life with H1000 it makes me wonder what the 6.5 SS will get. It has a longer neck at .320 and 40 degree shoulders which will keep that flame point away from the throat. So in theory it should match or even (dare I say it!) surpass the 6.5 4S. Velocity will be 50? Fps behind the 4S. I'll have my 6.5 SS in a few weeks and will post my results! Can't measure chamber pressures by will record my velocity with a magnetospeed at the same charges listed by 4S shooters And compare. Anyone know the H20 capacity of the 6.5 saum 4S? The fireformed brass I was given of the 6.5 SS is 71 gr if I remember correctly. I measured it awhile back but never wrote it down.

Since the 6.5 4S is getting fantastic barrel life with H1000 it makes me wonder what the 6.5 SS will get. It has a longer neck at .320 and 40 degree shoulders which will keep that flame point away from the throat. So in theory it should match or even (dare I say it!) surpass the 6.5 4S. Velocity will be 50? Fps behind the 4S. I'll have my 6.5 SS in a few weeks and will post my results! Can't measure chamber pressures by will record my velocity with a magnetospeed at the same charges listed by 4S shooters And compare. Anyone know the H20 capacity of the 6.5 saum 4S? The fireformed brass I was given of the 6.5 SS is 71 gr if I remember correctly. I measured it awhile back but never wrote it down.

I dare say that the SS will have more useable capacity because of the throat dimension and is more efficient because of the shorter burn column. This will be interesting.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts